Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECas123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Alright, I found a Powermac G4 at a swap meet and decided that I would use it to play around in Tiger. I've got the Tiger discs from my uncle and I booted the Powermac holding C and went ahead with the installation. It wiped OS 9.2 from the HDD it was almost done when it told me that there was an error with the installation and I have to restart. It tells me that everytime and I have no idea what to do. Anyone know what I can do?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
1) The HDD may not be shot, or something like loose cables connectors, ram or pci cards may be the culprit.....did it boot ok into OS 9 before you tried installing Tiger ?

2) The machine may need a firmware upgrade before it can run OS X....look on the install CD for a firmware update folder/app that you can use. G4's prior to the Digital Audio models came with OS 9 only and had to be updated to run OS X, and most of the later models had to be updated to run Tiger, since they came with Panther, Jaguar or Puma, and there were MAJOR system-level changes in Tiger that required new firmware..........

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Is it at the same spot every time? Could be a dirty/scratched CD or like the previous poster said, a failing hard drive or possibly optical drive.

What model G4 is it? Like Smurf said, you will probably have to update the firmware in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.