Could we possibly have a 100+gb iphone next year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheProduct, Jun 20, 2009.

1. TheProduct macrumors newbie

I know i am going to get a lot of flak for this question. I know its to early to tell but it would be nice to be able to fit all of my music on my iphone. I have close to 60 gigs so it would be nice to be able to leave my ipod at home and just carry my iphone with me all the time. What do you guys think? Would you use a 100 plus gb iphone?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It would certainly be nice to have a 100GB+ iPhone. Although you should probably be thinking more along the lines of a 64GB iPhone, as that would be the next step.

3. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I think we would be lucky to see 64gb phones next year

4. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

Lol, no. Were looking at 2 years, at the absolute earliest

5. TheProduct thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats too bad, it would be really nice! Oh well, I guess 64 will have to do.

6. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I was thinking about that. I don't think I will upgrade if in a few months they come out with a 64GB (like they did with the first iphone. Remember the bump to 16G at Christmastime?)

32GB is plenty for me.

7. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

Nope.

The reason is that there is limited room inside the iPhone case. The 32GB chip is fairly large, and there is really only room on the circuit board for 1 flash package (containing a number of chips) for memory.

The industry recently transitioned to 30nm-class NAND flash fabrication, allowing for single package 32GB NAND flash. It probably wont transition again until the end of 2010 (every 18-24 months). So no, we wont have one in time for an iPhone 2010 launch. Perhaps in 2011 we'll have the choice between 32GB and 64GB iPhones. And then another two years after that, 64GB and 128GB iPhones.

This could change if Apple were to redesign the phone, but I think at this point they'd go for smaller/lighter rather than bigger for more storage. Everyone who just uses it as a traditional smartphone (phone/email/calendar/apps) and doesn't put movies and music on it, they just use a tiny fraction of the 8GB of storage on a 3G.

8. TheProduct thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that would be really messed up if they did that again, i would be pissed. I notice that a few of your bought white iphones. I just ordered a 32gb in white and was wondering if it will discolor or anything like that? I will be keeping it in a clear case anyways, im just worried about dirt collecting in different spots like the lock button, headphone jack and volume controls.

9. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I don't know that we will ever see a 100GB iPhone. First off, we need to remember that Apple has a lot invested in their iPod lineup. The iPhone is not necessarily intended to hold ALL of your music and video, but instead it is meant to carry a nice amount of it with you everywhere you go. Apple still wants iPhone users buying iPods for their other needs. The current 32GB iPhone really is a huge amount of storage for a mobile device. I think Apple will stick with their 32 as a max size for now and possibly move up to 64GB in another year or two. I really don't see Apple ever going higher than 64GB though, unless other competitors take it to that level.

As for what we will see next year... I think we will see a completely redesigned iPhone 32GB that contains not only a whole new look, but lots of new features. I have a feeling that the iPhone we will see next year has already been in development since the 3G release and is the reason for the relatively minor new features of the 3GS. When the 2010 iPhone is released I can see Apple ending the 3G, making the 16GB 3GS their cheap phone, and only offering the new iPhone in the 32GB model. I also wouldn't be surprised to see new colors introduced eventually in the lower model iPhone.

Just some thoughts and guesses.