Could we see a speed bumped 15" rMBP next week?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigjohn, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. bigjohn macrumors 6502


    Oct 1, 2000
    Monrovia, CA
    I'm on the fence between a few models (13" air and 15" retina). For some of my work needs the Air would be ideal, but the retina would serve some other work needs - so I've been poking around. Seems the current retina uses the Intel Core i7-3820QM (in the max config).

    The speed bump refresh of those, the 3740QM (2.7GHz), 3840QM (2.8GHz) and 3940XM (3.0GHz) came out last month (sources: Intel & Wikipedia)

    I was looking back at product releases from our friends at apple-history, and it seems that for the most part there are 2 model releases each 12 months (some combination or early, mid or late).

    Perhaps there could be a rMBP mid 2012 and an rMBP late 2012. I say this because they've recently released a bunch of Mac products (not iOS per se) and I don't see a January/February event for Mac's (I do see a Q1/13 event for new iPads).

  2. soulniz macrumors member

    Apr 15, 2012
    I really don't think you should expect a new 15" rMBP anytime soon, perhaps at the end of February or March next year.
    However, I think you should look into the 13" rMBP, that's rumored to be released next week. It has the portability of the Air and the power of the MBP, and well, it has a super nice screen.
  3. lewdvig macrumors 65816


    Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole
    They could label the gpu a 660m gtx too. That's what it is.
  4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Feb 6, 2009
    I could see it happening, but if it does it will probably just be quietly updated on the online store without a mention in the keynote.
  5. that1guyy macrumors 6502

    Nov 11, 2011
    Do you think Apple will do a speed bump before they move to Haswell? If they do a spec bump first, it will most likely come early 2013, around February. But then Haswell is supposed to come around August, and it won't be enough time to justify a new MBP just 6 months later, and Haswell MBPs will have to wait until later, November to December...

    I wanted a Retina macbook pro when it came out but I had no money. I don't want to buy one now because I don't really need it now and can hold off, it's already old (3 months, i wanted it when it was new), and there are a lot of problems with them (as usual with first gen).

    I'll absolutely need a new laptop by next August though. Do you guys think Haswell MBPs will be out by then?
  6. skitzogreg macrumors 6502


    Oct 31, 2007
    Let's get decent graphics drivers first. The 10.8.2 included drivers still don't perform well on games. Once we get that, then we can start the renaming game.
  7. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    It's possible. They did spec bump the 2011 model.

    Though I'm not sure what a difference 100MHz would really make.

    The i7-3740 (2.7GHz) would replace the current i7-3720 (2.6GHz); so you get 100MHz more, but same amount of cache as the 2.6GHz of old (not the 8MB cache of the current 2.7GHz). The newer i7-3840 would be getting the 8MB cache.

    There zero chance Apple will use the i7-3940.

    We won't get more RAM, or better GPUs, though I'm sure that's what more people would want.
  8. theineffablebob macrumors regular

    Jul 29, 2012
    Works great in Windows! :)
  9. JD92, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  10. apparition47 macrumors newbie

    Nov 30, 2007
    I don't see them doing even a minor revision of the 15" next week. They've built up considerable stock of it as it is.

    Hold on til June for the new Haswell refresh!

Share This Page