Could we see an upgrade early next year?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattg3, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Okay,so now the disappointment has set in and the touch is being ignored this time around.Anyone think that at time the ipad 3 appears apple may be ready to give us a real ipod touch upgrade to ipod 5 or are we going to have to wait a full year?

2. iEvolution, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

iEvolution macrumors 65816

There was ZERO mid-year updates on the iPod line this year, I doubt they will do it this year. Then you have the problem with a uproar of people that buy the iPod Touch and then releasing a big update a few months later.

The only thing I think is possible is a capacity bump to either the nano or the iPod Touch. To be honest I am floored to see the nano not get a update in capacity after how long it has been.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

You guys need to lower your expectations. The technologies are not there for Apple to produce awesome new updates every 12 or even 24 months, it's technically impossible.

Researching a new technology take years and that's just one technology. Apple's R and D probably have dozens of experimental projects going on at any given moments but none of them are guaranteed to be done within 12 months or even succeed.

We should not expect any new major updates to any technology product every 12 months, it should be more like 2-4 years at most.

4. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Apple likes to do baby steps in innovation but they didn't do any baby steps they didn't even take a step. In fact the white face is probably straight from the iPhone 4 assembly line so there was nothing new to the iPod Touch at all.

I don't think its asking much for a capacity bump after two years (128GB or even 96GB if 128GB isn't cheap enough), and I certainly don't think the A5 is ridiculous since Apple has promoted the iPod Touch as a gaming device.

5. iDave macrumors 6502a

I understand what you're saying, but there is technology already included in the iPhone, which could be put in the touch if only Apple wanted to. Problem is, the phone makes them SoMuchMoney® that they can afford to leave the touch behind.

There really was no iPod event this year like there has been in previous Septembers. Today was an iPhone event. At the same time though, Apple quietly released a white version of the 2010 touch.

I think perhaps there could be improvements to the iPod line come spring. Maybe Apple has decided they'll sell enough iPods around Christmas without improvements, so why not hold off on new goodies until later.

Just speculating. And a bit baffled. :)

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

What technologies or improvements can they put in iPhone or iPod touch right now that can be produced in tens of millions perfectly and without hampering their profit margins?

7. iDave macrumors 6502a

Um, well, I'll take the $30 Apple reduced the price and guess what could have been done with that, instead of lowering the price. I'll admit to not knowing what these things cost. It just seems to me, something could have been done to update the touch, rather than nothing.

oleophobic coating
    slightly better camera
    four inch screen

Oh, and by the way, Apple touts the touch as now being compatible with iOS 5. Does anyone know if the 2009 touch will be incompatible?

8. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Apple could have at least put some of these but they chose not to put ANY OF THEM

5MP camera - 10$
    GPS chip- 1.75$
    Magnetometer- 2$
    512 MB RAM ~10$
    IPS display 15$
    3GS camera -5.25$
    A5 chip 15$

Much more people would be happier had Apple kept the 229$ price tag and added a couple of the features listed above.

2009 32GB and 64GBs are compatible with iOS5
    2009 8GBs stop at iOS4(NOT compatible with iOS5)

9. iDave macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Interesting. I wonder why the new 8GB can run it when the old 8GB can't.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

iDave, The old 8GB was still just the 2nd generation model and had older hardware in it than the 3rd gen 32 and 64. It was hardware rather than memory that determined that.
    don't hold your breath.

11. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

The new 8GB can run iOS5 because it was the 4th generation ipod touch released in 2010. All 2010 ipod touch models were redesigned and all had compatibility with iOS5(perhaps till the end of iOS6)

The 8GB that was released concurrently in 2009 with the 32 and 64 GB models was actually the 2nd generation ipod touch that was released in Sept 2008. Although it was sold in 2009 but only the 32GB and 64GB models were upgraded to 3rd generation while the 8GB was "carried over".

In short 2nd generation 8GB models was released in 2008 and 2009
    Third generation 32 and 64 GB were released in 2009. (only the higher capacity devices were upgraded internally)

Only third generations(and above) can run iOS5
    So the old 8GB won't work with iOS5.

12. iDave macrumors 6502a

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

All of that in 200-229$ product with 30% profit margins?

According to iSuppli, the parts that makes up the Verizon iPhone that cost Apple 180$ to produce and excluding the CMDA chip, it'll drop down to 160$ and assuming some parts getting cheaper since Feb, I'll say $140. Add about 10$ more for a few upgrades such as A5 (A5 is more expensive than A4 due to dual dies), that's 150$ and that doesn't include any extra fees for royalties, packaging, shipping and others. Let's say 10-20$ for that. That's 160-170$, leaving Apple only 30-40$ in profit per device.

That's 20% profit margins and Apple wants at least 30%.

Yes, Apple chose not to put in those parts. They don't care what we want in our products, they want to maintain that profit margins.

The key is how to implement all of the new technologies in a thinner device at the same cost or reducing the price while maintaining that 30% margins. Right now, Apple can't do that without losing money and they'll wait until the parts get cheaper.

Remember just because the technologies is in the iPhone, doesn't mean they can produce it at a loss for iPod touch. iPhones's regular price are retailing for $400 or more, can't exactly remove the cell parts and then expect them to sell it at 200$ without making any money.

14. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

I'm am glad that I bought my Touch last year, it's a fun little device and I like it a lot. If I were looking for one this year and know what I know now, I would not buy one. In fact if anyone asks me if they should buy an iPod Touch new this year, I will tell them NO. Apple gave the iphone without a phone absolutely nothing this year and kept the price HIGH. On the other hand if they actually drop the price according to the old tech that is inside the shiny scratch magnet, I will gladly advise people to buy. But not at old tech/high price. NO.

Tick Tock.

Which one means zero, the Tick or the Tock?

I seriously want to know?