Could You Stand Having to Shovel Lake Effect Snow?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by John Doe 57, Dec 11, 2009.

?

Could You Handle Clearing You Driveway Nearly 24/7?

Poll closed Dec 23, 2009.
  1. Yeah, I could handle it. It's not a big deal.

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. No, I probably move or kill myself.

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Here is the scenario:

Wednesday Night: 2 to 4 inches of Snow, 2 - 4" Total
    Thursday: 10 to 16 inches of Snow, 12 - 20" Total
    Thursday Night: 9 to 13 inches of Snow, 21 - 33" Total
    Friday: 33 to 39 inches of Snow, 54 - 72" Total (4.5 to 6 Feet)
    Friday Night: 16 to 22 inches of Snow, 70 - 94" Total (5.9 to 7.8 Feet)
    Saturday: 3 to 7 inches of Snow, 73 - 101" of Snow, (6 to 8.4 Feet)

Not to mention that there will be wind gusts of 50 to 60 mph, so snow drifts will play a HUGE factor in clearing your driveway.

BTW, this is currently happening in the Tug Hill region of New York State. Snow amounts of 5 to 6 inches per hour are being witnessed. This scenario is not made up.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is a lot of snow. The worst I've ever had to do was about 3-4 feet.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Why not wait until it stops? That's what we do in CO. That and have a Jeep that can move it out of the way. Generally we just let the sun melt it ... of course we're over a mile closer and usually have sunny skies and that makes a huge difference.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

5. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

So that's why the snowman on your street is smiling ;)

I don't bother to shovel. We get snow, and it's gone in a matter of hours...a day at most.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'd probably bite the bullet and go out and shovel every few hours. I have done that last year when we had a few days of snow in IL. Not fun, but almost necessary so that you can actually dig yourself out.

I always say that I should move, but I never do/will. :eek:

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I wish we had snow even half as heavy as that.

8. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I forgot to mention that you probably would/should have to get onto your roof and clear the snow off. 8 feet of snow on a roof can raque havoc on it, especially if you let it sit there and melt from the Sun and the heat your home produces.

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

If we get a couple of inches around here, people freak out. I can't even imagine snow like that. Stuff like that is why I have a geographic cut off on where I will live. I refuse to live anywhere that gets those kind of temps or that amount of snow. In fact, I would really like to get a sys admin job in say, the Bahamas so I won't have to deal with cold weather. :)

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Lived in Traverse city MI for many years & had more snowfall than that most years. All I had was a standard snow shovel. We used to get snow drifts all the way up to the roofs of 2 story houses. We'd get onto the roof & shovel them off regularly & jump down on the drift side.
    Good times......
    BRRRRRRR.

11. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

In 2003-04, Redfield, NY got 299 inches of snow for the entire season (Just over 19 feet). During a huge lake effect snow storm in 2007, Redfield received 141 inches of snow in 10 days. That is 14.1 inches of snow per day, half an inch per hour for 240 hours, 11.75 feet of snow total.

Redfield02112007-3.jpg
    http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photoindex.html

12. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I've lived in Minot, ND where the wind blows so hard that the house across the street was covered, and I could see the grass on my front lawn. All of the snow that had been there blew across the street. :)

I've also lived in Rome, NY, so I know lake-effect. Not Buffalo lake effect, but heavy nonetheless.

It's nice once in a while if you're prepared. It does get old rapidly. I prefer cold to hot though. You can't get arrested for bundling up in winter. You can get arrested for getting too comfortable in the summer. :D

13. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I live in Colden, NY, where the Highway Department has a sign "Snow Capitol of Western NY." And usually it is.

Yesterday I shoveled twice (about 6" the first time, and about a foot the last time) and then at 5 AM today so I could leave, I had to do another foot.

The key is to find a pace you can keep at for a while. My driveway is about 100' long, so it's not a quick job.

When I can't do it anymore, and need a snowblower, I'll move. I am, ahem, an old guy.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Used to live in Rochester NY. Lake effect = yuck.

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Interesting. I lived in Oswego for a number of years and I thought Oswego was the "Snow Capital."

16. sypherod macrumors newbie

I like the cold and snow, so i don't think I would mind it. I probably don't want that much snow, if it happens too often. Once in a while, I think it can be fun, but definitely exhausting.

17. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Um, because it's cold! I used to live in CO also, and it melted away much faster than "back east". I don't think the proximity to the sun is the reason, especially when it's Chinook season.

18. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Oswego is the Snow Capitol of Central NY -- Colden is it for Western NY.

But let's face it -- outfits like Highway Departments can and do claim pretty much whatever they want to.

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Been there done that, Great Lakes RTC north of Chicago winter of 1994/95, the snows in Montana at high altitude were slightly softer in comparison around 1998/99 (of course in MT few people shoveled they just drove on the top)

20. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

meh, i don't mind as long as it isn't wet snow. the kind that weighs like snow is made from cesium.

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

That is an incredible amount of snow.

I think there is something wrong with me. One of the few things I enjoy about winter is shoveling snow. Maybe it's because people who do a half ass job really get to me. It might be my way of feeling just in my disappointment.

I remember the Halloween blizzard of '91 when we got 28" of snow. I was 12 and my old man said. "Well you want to be a man right? Well men shovel snow". That was a great Halloween. That should have made me hate shoveling, but somehow it didn't. Maybe if I dealt with lake effect snow my views would be different.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Snow plows are beautiful things. We average less than 100"/year and even with that shoveling is not a game I want to play. We've only had about 12" yet this winter.

If only we could jam a huge mountain next to Buffalo. Limitless and absurd East Coast powder. 10 feet of snow in a few days? It'd be a mecca.