Could you suggest a good graphics program for web picts?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tholian, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Tholian macrumors member

Hi All

Do you have a favorite lightweight graphics manipulation program which is suited for making/manipulating graphics for the web? My employer provides Photoshop and it is just seems like to much of an effort for what I want to do which is usually just resizing, changing resolution and adding text to pictures. I don't mind paying a little if it is for a good program.

Thanks

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You have access to Photoshop, what more could you want. I do a lot of photo editing for the web as well. All I do is create an action in PS once and it takes care of all the hard work for me. Lots of good tutorials on the web to show you how to do batch work and actions.

3. Tholian thread starter macrumors member

Access to Photoshop is through a VPN and is further metered by a limited # of licenses. No reason for me to use a license when I don't need the power of Photoshop and I don't really like using it any case. I just want something that will load quickly, is easy to use and I don't have to use a manual to get work done. I'm really just trying to match the right tool to the job. :)

4. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Anything you use is going to have some kind of learning curve. Look into The Gimp (Free) and Pixelmator ($30 in App Store). There are many more, but those two I've used.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'd highly recommend Pixelmator. Not too steep of a learning curve, especially for basic tasks, and often more intuitive than Photoshop. I can't really recommend The GIMP, despite the great price, because it's just such a pain to deal with. YMMV, though.

jW

6. Malco macrumors newbie

Have you tried using Preview? It does everything you're asking for and you already have it.

7. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

This is good advice. If you aren't going to use photoshop, Gimp is a great option. It's very porweful. I have known many people who have switched from photoshop all together. I'm not one of those people,...but I hear good things from folks I respect.

8. MacSignal macrumors regular

Seashore is free and worth a look. I have used GIMP for simple tasks and I like GIMP, but it is not that simple even though PS is more complicated (imo).

For $50, I like Acorn a lot. Pixelmator seems like it is trying to be a PS replacement or a less expensive version of Elements. IMO, Acorn is not trying to be those programs as much as it is trying to provide a smaller set of features with more usability.

Acorn has a free trial, so you can check out both Seashore and Acorn without spending anything. If you try either one, let us know how they worked out for you. Good luck!

9. Tholian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies! I'll probably end-up using Seahorse, it seems to have a good blend of features and ease of use. Preview would be great but the text functions seem a little weak.

Thanks again! :)