Could you survive 6 months with just your MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by secretpact, Oct 26, 2010.

1. secretpact macrumors 6502

I'm studying abroad for half a year. I'll need to survive there for 6 months. I know we're all different, but could YOU survive for 6 months with just your MBA?

2. acb2m macrumors member

I plan on surviving with it for the next 4-5 years 2 of which will be medical school so yes I think it's a great laptop.

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

4. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

Depends on which model your talking about. The 11", no I could not manage 6 months solo with it. The 13", yes no doubt in my mind I could and am doing now. I had a '09 15" MBP I passed that along to my daughter who is in college and badly needed a new laptop to replace her 13" BlackBook original release. The 13" MBA with 2GB RAM and 256 GB storage so far has met my needs perfectly with no real loss in productivity. From reading the review posted here from Anandtech the 11" would have frustrated me sooner than later.

5. Fanboyofnothing macrumors member

My 13 is now my main home computer and I wouldnt have it any other way. I was able to sell a MBP and iPad (ended up hating that thing) and couldn't be happier. And it's only going to prove its worth more the next time I have to spend the entire day on planes and walking thru airports.

6. EggrollShop macrumors member

As everyone has been saying I don't see why not, as long as it's a 13 inch not the 11. I've been using mine since a day after launch and it's been perfect. I plan on using it as my main laptop for years to come :D

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm sure you will be... not just for 6 months, even longer~
    especially with the 13" model~ I'd recommend upgrade it to 4GB of RAMs ;) Hope you will enjoy the Air

8. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I survived over 2 1/2 years with the MBA as my only computer until I got an iMac this August. This is with heavy photoshopping, video encoding, and light video editing.

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I survived on a pentium 2 223MHZ windows computer through 4 years of college when the fastest computer was a 2.0 p4.

So yes, I can survive with just my iphone doing school papers.

To give you an idea: when i was 8, i asked my parents for a mac, they got me an old IIc with just games on it (WIN)

When i was 16 I got a 133 p1.

When i was 19 I got a 233 P2.

10 years later I got a C2D. .....so yes....

10. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

It can surf the net. It can e-mail. It can play SC2 and WoW with decent frame rates on low.

Yes, the screen would be vastly smaller, but I could totally do it.

And to be quite honest, I survived through college (note taking and reviewing) using a 400MHz Pismo G3 hand-me-down as my laptop. Sure I had a G5 in my dorm, but that Pismo worked like a champ.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've been using my air as my main computer for longer than that so yes.

12. kriskay macrumors member

Yup, most definatley.

MIne is now my main computer. I have been running logic on it, it performs better than my 2.4 MBP and i much smaller beautiful chassis. The screen is also a real treat, you can get more done on this res.

13. NickFalk macrumors 6502

NickFalk

I know this might make me sound like a heretic, but people have been known to survive 6 months without any computer what so ever! ;)

14. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Personal preference, but I think i could cope with just my mba, although i would need an external drive for all my files and whatnot.

15. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Blasphemy!

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Question: what specs did you get?

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Say it isn't so!

18. McDughf macrumors regular

LOL! :)

19. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

20. McDughf macrumors regular

My Home PowerMac G5 died last year, so now my MacBook Air has been my main computer since then.
    Sure, sometimes its runs so slow its exasperating, but there are other times when I am blown away by what it does when I didn't expect it to.

I work in the Media industry, and the apps have used on this machine include Final Cut 6, Shake, And Unbelievably, Maya 2011. Granted, these were at a last minute pinch, but I was impressed that they were all working at a useable state.

So yeah, you CAN survive with just a MacBook Air.( But Get a Superdrive!!!! ;) )

Ps - I was using a second gen 1.86, not even the faster 2.13.

21. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

I just went to the apple store to check out the 11.6" MBAs and I noticed that at full volume, they vibrate quite alot. Has anyone else noticed this? I like to use my laptop in bed so I think the vibrating would be distracting.

22. etjazz macrumors newbie

They do, and it led me to give up using mine on my nightstand for playing back podcasts.... however during daytime with some ambient noise, its virtually silent.

My 2006 Macbook white with ssd was a lot quieter.

23. Fanboyofnothing macrumors member

I just turned the volume on my 13 all the way, and I'd personally never use it this loud, but it didn't vibrate.

24. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I think anyone could truly survive without it. It isn't a requirement for life. Air is a strictly moniker, it isn't actually made of it. :D

25. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Like if I have to eat it? 6 months eating a laptop is impossible.