Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What did you do/are planning to do?

• Bought the current macbook

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Planning on taking an old pc or mac to college

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • waiting it out with no computer

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • other...

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tallestof4

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I was reading a bunch of posts about how many people had to get new laptops for college and were holding out till the last minute. I was just wondering who wasn't able to wait for the aluminum macbooks, who is still waiting, and how long have you been waiting/will be waiting!:apple:

mayanka89

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Midwest
I was originally going to buy the Macbook after Intel updated to Montevina conveniently one week before WWDC. Then Intel delayed. Then waited for August updates to Macbook. So going to take my desktop PC to college, and wait for new Macbooks. Oh well, at least I can be sure that Starcraft 2 and Valve games will run like champs on my PC.

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Yup, I'm still waiting. It will suck to go to college and not have a computer for possibly an entire month or two, but whatever.

Aluminum casing is worth it, if it happens.

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
I have been waiting a year last Nov was suppose to be it so ended up buying then, sold it bought a vaio, I was waiting but last Monday bought a macbook and got a free ipod, after selling the ipod and getting the rebate, I also sen it to my home in NH(No Tax) and ED discount, it cost me 699.00.. I love the current book, but not sure of the new one , if i love the new one I will buy it and but this on ebay for 500.00 and see what happens.

Aztec

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I've been waiting since May. I really can't wait for this update to finally come.

JLEW700

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Bought a blackbook about 2 weeks ago from bestbuy because they have 2 years no finance charge, but i havnt opened it yet because im waiting for the new macbook. My plan is to hold out till the new MB comes out but im not sure if the no finance charge will still be going on at that time. Since bestbuy has a 14 day return policy, I return my blackbook and rebuy it every 13 days or so, just incase they come out with the new MB. If bestbuy does away with the 2 years no finance charge before the new MB comes out then i guess im just gonna stay with the blackbook

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Bought a blackbook about 2 weeks ago from bestbuy because they have 2 years no finance charge, but i havnt opened it yet because im waiting for the new macbook. My plan is to hold out till the new MB comes out but im not sure if the no finance charge will still be going on at that time. Since bestbuy has a 14 day return policy, I return my blackbook and rebuy it every 13 days or so, just incase they come out with the new MB. If bestbuy does away with the 2 years no finance charge before the new MB comes out then i guess im just gonna stay with the blackbook

that's one of those "that's so crazy it just might work" plans... :|

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

I bought a new TV from Best Buy 2 days ago. My friend(he is the GM there) works there and I got the special 0% financing offer. He told me it will go on for another week and then it ends.

JLEW700

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
I bought a new TV from Best Buy 2 days ago. My friend(he is the GM there) works there and I got the special 0% financing offer. He told me it will go on for another week and then it ends.

Is the special 0% financing forever? because they are having a special 3 years 0% financing on tvs, so im not sure if thats a special thing just for you. Also if the 2 year no finance charge only goes for another week then it looks like i might have a blackbook. Also i bought my blackbook 2 weeks ago because they were having the 2 year no finance special and the guy said that it would only be for that week....... Now were 2 weeks later, so well see.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Is the special 0% financing forever? because they are having a special 3 years 0% financing on tvs, so im not sure if thats a special thing just for you. Also if the 2 year no finance charge only goes for another week then it looks like i might have a blackbook. Also i bought my blackbook 2 weeks ago because they were having the 2 year no finance special and the guy said that it would only be for that week....... Now were 2 weeks later, so well see.

I don't think it was a special just for me. He cut the price bigtime plus gave me a free 3 yr extended warranty.

I was talking to him and he said the 0% financing for 2-3 yrs was going away in a week. He should know I guess b/c he is the General Manager there, but who knows.

i would just enjoy the Macbook if I were you. Life is too short to wait around especially if you don't know 100% when or what is going to happen.

tallestof4

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I'm trying to hold myself back from buying the current model. It helps that I'm about $120 short. The new ones better come out soon!!!

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
I bought the current black MacBook. I really don't care about the aluminum (I love the black Mac) so that didn't mean a thing.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I bought the current black MacBook. I really don't care about the aluminum (I love the black Mac) so that didn't mean a thing.

What if it is made of gold and on top of that Apple reduces it by $500?

Enjoy your Blackbook and don't worry about people who say you should of..... They have to put down what others did to make themselves feel good.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX

Enjoy your Blackbook and don't worry about people who say you should of..... They have to put down what others did to make themselves feel good.
How was I putting him down, just stating that there could be a lot more updated than just the case

then i will not buy one the LED on my MBP was crap :)
Not the ones I've seen. Brighter, sharper, and better battery life.

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
what if it blows bubbles out its butt, and dances like a fiend? . .

ok, that was a little uncalled for, but i like the current macbook. it suits me. i don't care too much for the aluminum look.

dinostars

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2007
Well, I think the blackbook is pretty ace so I just ahead and bought it. If something goes wrong in the next three years, it gets replaced with an aluminum macbook. :)

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Well, I think the blackbook is pretty ace so I just ahead and bought it. If something goes wrong in the next three years, it gets replaced with an aluminum macbook. :)

That is a good way to look at it. I like the Black Macbook also. I'm sure the new aluminum Macbook will have some upgraded features/power, but my Macbook is plenty powerful enough for me plus I don't like aluminum look personally. I know it will be lighter, but the plastic one is only 5 pounds and that is light enough for me.

That said I don't blame people for waiting nor do I blame people for buying with the deals going on now.

tallestof4

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
well... although i like the current models i think that i would like the aluminum ones better... Do you think that they would be more durable then the plastic ones? Also, for those that are waiting, how do you stop yourself from buying the current one? For those that bought the current one, please tell me how you like it and what model you got (specs). THX!

JLEW700

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008

I actually just got back from doing this and heres what happened.
I said: "Id like to return this"
teller said: "Is there anything wrong with it"
I said: "No, I just want to return it and then rebuy it so that i can get another 14 days on my return policie"
teller said: "I dont think we can do that but let me go ask"
teller came back and said: "No, we wont do that"
(not we cant do that, but we wont do that)
I said: "So can i return this one then and buy a new one?"
teller said: "No, we wont do that"
(again, not we cant do that but we wont do that)
I said: "So you wont let me return this one and buy a new one? Can i return this one here and go to a different bestbuy and buy a new one?
teller said: "Hold on" and went and talked to somebody
teller came back and said: "Ok, you can return this one but you might have to waite up to 72 hours for the refund to go back to your account"
I said:"Ok, do that and ill come back in 3 days"

Moral of the story is the people at bestbuy were being a bunch of idiots because i found a loophole in their stoopid system but in the end they still want my money so i guess they wised up.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I voted "planning to take the other computer," but only because I need a second unit, but can make do for now. Currently my wife and I are sharing, and it's working alright, but when I'm busier with classes and work, I'll need one of my own. I hoping for updates by the end of September, but of course the sooner the better.

SDLSteve

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2004
Florida

If it was gold, it would significantly increase the weight :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.