Couldnt communicate with a helper application when connecting iPhone

niho

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2019
To anyone using Catalina, please check my previous message.
Use "Music" App on your Mac.
Thanks, I had the same error, similar experience here, on macOS catalina.
I opened the music ap, it said missing library, I clicked 'create new' , and closed the music app.
Then I was able to access the iphone contents in finder app.

Reactions: 2muchcoffeeman

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Good to see this is still helping people - would have thought Apple would have fixed it with an update by now!

sprucewag

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
This is brilliant, thank you! Due to Covid (it's in another location), I cannot plug in the external hard drive on which I keep my iTunes library. Any suggestions how to trick my computer into letting me back up my iPhone without getting that message?

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
This is brilliant, thank you! Due to Covid (it's in another location), I cannot plug in the external hard drive on which I keep my iTunes library. Any suggestions how to trick my computer into letting me back up my iPhone without getting that message?
Create a new library on your local drive. Now you can connect and backup your phone etc as normal.
When you have access to your external drive again, redirect Music to connect to your original library. You will continue to be able to connect your iPhone to Finder as normal.

arett

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
I am not computer literate at all and don't understand what the solution is, sorry. I try to connect my ipod nano 7th gen to my Macbook Pro and I get the message "couldn't communicate with helper application." This happened after the update to Catalina 10.15.5. I did go to Music>File>Library>Organize Library but Reorganize files is grayed out. I know my cable is good because my iPhone XR connects perfectly. I have tried resetting the ipod nano, didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas? Don't have an external drive.

Last edited:

jwp123

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
SOLVED!!

2 hours with Apple Support didn't solve it - instead ended up resolving thanks to trial and error!

I have my iTunes media folder on an external TB3 drive - connected the drive and opened Music too ensure it was seeing everything OK.
Went back to Finder and everything now working fine and my iPhone shows up correctly (even if I now disconnect my iTunes external drive).
Maybe it just needed access to a file from my iTunes folder to get going!
It worked for me - Catalina

Reactions: Ifti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.