Couldn't do alternate upgrades?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rated, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Rated macrumors member

I tried to alternate upgrade my line, but I couldn't.

It only let me order it on the line that was due for an upgrade.

Will this be a problem?

2. easyrun99 macrumors newbie

I "think" you'll have to activate it on the line you upgraded. Once that is done you should be able to switch phones.

This is what I've done in the past and will do with my iPhone as well -

• Activate iPhone on the line you upgraded
    • then turn it off and activate the old phone back on the upgraded line
    • you should then be able to activate the iPhone on essentially any VZW number

VZW needs you to activate so they can account for the upgrade you used and ETF you if you drop service

3. mclide macrumors newbie

I'll be doing the same.

Have to head out to the suburbs because I will be upgrading on my sister's line. (Plus switching in Manhattan will be obnoxious.)

4. paunat macrumors newbie

Anyone know if this have to be done in store or can it be done over the air? Kind of defeats the purpose of the preorder if I still have to go into the store.

5. teege macrumors member

Hm, I talked to a CSR yesterday and they said that when I go to activate the phone I'll be given an option to activate on line X or another line. She said to choose "another line" and I can go from there.

Activating on the other line then switching over sounds like a PITA (what happens to the person's phone you're taking the upgrade from?) and hopefully that isn't necessary.

6. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

You can also call VZW before you actually activate the phone, and have them move the upgrade to your other line, and then go to activate the phone as usual and it will activate on the line you want. I have done this in the past and several people on other forums report being told to do this.