couldnt find answers at apple, so i have some questions on functionality :]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zelly, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Zelly macrumors newbie

Zelly

Hellooo~ I'm new. I already scoured Apple.com for answers and couldn't find anything, even having watched some videos, so I have a few questions... :]

1. I understand that you can open PDFs, but can you create them?
    2.Also, be able to create Microsoft Word documents, or text documents, but preferably Word. Possible? :\

3.I wanna be able to load in text documents and read them. I read a lot of fiction online, so I would like to be able to put Word files of those stories onto the Touch and read them, but had a question -

-Anyone have an opinion on if it's easy to read something that large, or does it really hurt your eyes? I understand there would be a lot of scrolling, but is it a hassle, or would it be a convenient way to port around stories?

4. If you're just surfing the web, looking at artwork online, watching videos on youtube, what is the battery life like?

5. Screen brightness - can it be adjusted?

6. Anyone got really awesome headphones that they are in love with and want to recommend, since I need some? :D I have $10 Sonys that I am happy with, they go over the back of your head (not on top) but was listening to my friend's RCA ones the other day and somehow they sounded better! I also have some more expensive ones that are noise reduction and they do a great job, but am looking for something inexpensive, yet sounds great. In the ear ones are nice, but I'm tiny and have small ears, so have trouble finding some :(

7. Are fingerprints an issue? is it safe to gently tap with finger nails? (I have talons)

8. Anyone have a fun accessory site for the Ipod Touch?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. lfhdez macrumors member

lfhdez

Hello Zelly,
    Here are the answers to SOME of your questions (dont have the answers to all)... BTW, I'm an iphone user. but it's the same thing.

1. You can open them but you cannot create. Because youre opening them from your mailbox.

2-3. Same thing for word, you can open it, but you can't save them or create them or load them. Only way would be to copy the Word document and send it to yourself in an e-mail.. then read the e-mail =) You're right, it would be a lot of scrolling, but I dont think it hurts the eyes...

4. I've never really timed it but I haven't really run out of battery yet. Just gotta remember to charge it. I know that in a 3 hour flight, I was listening to music, watched a movie, and played some music videos just fine.

5. Screen brightness CAN be adjusted AND it can auto adjust. It has a sensor that will measure the ambient light and dim the screen if it's dark out. I'm sure they learned a lot from those backlit keyboards.

6. i'm not an audiophile.. sorry

7. Fingerprints may be an issue depending on how much of a neat freak you are. When the phone it's on, you can't see the prints. When it's off, its a different story. I've found that if it really bothers you, you can always go with a really nice non-glossy screen protector they sell at almost any apple store and that actually does a good job against fingerprints. You can tap all you want with your fingernails but you will get nowhere. The phone's screen actually is looking for the "fleshy" part of your finger. So you actually have to use your finger. That way, nothing can actually unlock your phone, just real-life human fingers. OOOOOOH yea, and the glass is made of really high quality really scratch resistant glass. I like it.

8. That, I do not know, since i do not own an ipod Touch.

3. EdwardsNH macrumors member

lol at that part.

Great answers all, and no Touch. :D

4. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

when not on a wifi network, like when traveling, shut it off because searching for the signal uses a lot of battery.

5. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

You don't need a product to be able to read and find information about it.

6. Zelly thread starter macrumors newbie

Zelly

Hey thank you for helping ^.^ Are there any third party programs that i can download to be able to write? And that is really cool about the screen - I didn't know that. ^_^

7. lfhdez macrumors member

lfhdez

well.

That's unfortunatelly what everyone is waiting for. I would suggest for reading any documents to just use Google's "Documents" web application. This will allow you to be able to access the written documents anywhere you have access to the internet. But as far as 3rd party apps, there aren't none at this time. Apple is releasing the "SDK" Which means "Software Developer's Kit" Which is information on how to make 3rd party apps. (you'll see it all over the Mac Rumors website).

I would assume that SOMEONE will eventually make a 3rd party app as soon as they have the information how to make them. But for the time being, I say use the notes application... and don't worry if you can't seem to get the hang of typing. It literally took me about 3 or 4 days of using the notes app to be able to get up to my regular speed that I had on the Treo (and now I can type on it pretty fast... just don't give up).

Cheers,

~L