Couldn't have been easier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SIUGRAD99, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Sold my 8gb on craigslist in 15 minutes. Met the guy at the AT&T store and sold him the phone. Went into the store, bought my 16gb phone and came home thinking I would have to upload all my webapps again and redo my phonebook. Come to find out when I did a restore of my info to the new phone it saves all my contacts in my phonebook and my web apps! I was expecting to spend 2 hours reloading this info and it was already done for me in 2 minutes!

Whoo Hoo!

2. iPhelim, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  3. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

knowing I have the extra capacity to use if I need it makes me feel better. I had never used craigslist before, but was amazed how easy it was.

4. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I think that this maybe an option when the new generation of iPhone comes out. I'm sure there will be a big rush to sell current ones for new ones. :p

5. peterjeter26 macrumors member

u must feel great about urself i wish i could sell mine

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

sorry to be nosy, but how much did you get for it?

7. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

8. achie25 macrumors 6502

Please excuse my ignorance, but what all do you have to do when you sell it? Do you need to take out the SIM or do you freeze your account?

I guess what I am trying to ask is how do you sell it to someone and discontinue that phone from accessing your account? What all do you have to do to sell it on Ebay or Craigslist. Also how does it work then to add the new phone to your account/contract?

Like I said please excuse my ignorance! :eek:

9. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

You sold a used 8GB phone for $25 under retail of $399. Wow. Who would buy it at that price. Was it jailbroken?

10. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Amazing isn't it? Here in the Chicagoland area, people manage to sell them for 375-380, no questions asked. Maybe some people don't want to pay with credit card for a new one? I got mine used, but for a whole lot less than that.

11. cazlar macrumors 6502

One good reason is that if it is an older phone (came with 1.1.1 or less) it will be much easier to unlock than buying a new phone. I know if I was asked by friends overseas to get one, I'd probably go to craigslist or similar first.

12. one1 macrumors 65816

Most people buy them used to avoid activation.

13. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

350 is nothing I sold my 1.1.1 8gb not even unlocked for 675 on ebay. I stayed with my razr and bought myself a mac instead, I paid the difference obviously lol.

14. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I sold mine on ebay for 380, but you guys are all forgetting about sales tax.

It retails for $400. Sales tax where I live is 5%. The buyer is saving a total of $40.

When you buy the 16 Gig version, you're also paying 5% extra for sales tax -- $25.

15. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

Wow..I am tempted to sell my jailbroken iphone now!

If i got an 16gb one, do I just keep my SIM card and put it in the new one?

16. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

But there's a catch

I know in Texas, you are suppose to report this and pay taxes on it. Similar to if you bought a car used from a private party; you pay sales tax when you go to register it. No one ever does for anything less than some arbitrary amount (let's say 500 bucks), but it's the law in Texas and most other states with sales tax.

17. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

I just popped the sim card out to ensure the person didn't go around making calls between the time I left the AT&T store until I got home to activate. :)

18. oldimac macrumors regular

This is probably one of the most ignorant questions ever but.....

How does the guy you sold your 8gb phone to use it if it doesn't have a sim?:confused:

19. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Wondering the same thing.

Did you put the SIM from the 8GB into the 16GB and then re-activated in iTunes, or did you just setup the 16GB through iTunes and it automatically disabled the SIM from the 8GB and transfered the account to the 16GB? I'm very curious how this upgrading process is handled without getting AT&T involved.

20. robbrick macrumors member

Ask ATT

You just go into an AT&T store and ask them for a new SIM. They will hand you one and you leave, go home and activate your new iPhone. Also, if you sell your phone to someone, you pop out the SIM, put it into the new iPhone, plug into iTunes and go through the activation process again and AT&T will replace the old phone in their system with the new one in their system and that's it. Then the person that bought your phone will get a new SIM from an AT&T store, go home and activate your old phone as theirs.

Simple stuff.

21. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't switch sim cards and just activated the one in the phone. I restored the new phone to my last good sync and it had all my info and stuff saved. The person I sold it to wanted to unlock it and take it to another carrier so to be honest I wasn't concerned with how he would do it, just that I got my $ and the sim card so he couldn't use the phone while I was inbetween the purchase and the new activation.

22. robbrick macrumors member

Yup, you ALWAYS should keep your SIM and if you're not going to use it anymore, just destroy it. Once it is used, AT&T will not reactivate it with another user. But you could have popped the new SIM out of your new phone, reinstalled the SIM you removed from your old phone into the new phone and just plugged it into iTunes to activate the new iPhone. No need to have to activate a new SIM, unless you want to.

23. SIUGRAD99 thread starter macrumors regular

It made no difference to me either way so I just kept my old sim card.

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep. You were smart.

Apple stuff holds good resale, so I always just sale and buy, when something new comes out. In the end, it costs me about the same as Apple Care that I end up not having to buy.

25. sal macrumors 6502

375? that's good. so basically you paid $125(plus tax) for an upgraded iphone(new and double the memory)

I've been very skeptical about craigslist, it's good to hear stories like these...