Couldn't log in to my iMac ( Password )

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Totally Bored, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Totally Bored, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

I entered the Password but it wouldn't let me in. I shut down the machine and restarted about 5 times and it magically worked on it's own. The numbers and letters where going in and it went sideways a little but I couldn't Log In. Weird and Scary :(

Can I disable the need for using a Password on start up and is that bad to do ?

How do you do that anyway ?

Also, when I Shut Down should I check the box "( )Reopen Windows when logging back in " ?
    Have no idea what that does ? My 1st thought was "This ain't Windows, this is a Mac ... lol

Sorry but I'm a Newbie to the Mac world. Really love it so far but that Password thing was a bit scary.

2. Totally Bored thread starter macrumors member

Totally Bored

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I've done it before, had caps lock enabled and not noticed.... its easy to accidentally trigger caps lock when your password includes an 'a' in it..

System Preferences->Users & Groups->unlock with password to make changes->Login Options->Automatic Login On

When you have that option checked, the Mac will , after rebooting and relogin, reload apps and windows that were open when you shutdown...

4. Totally Bored thread starter macrumors member

Totally Bored

Wow thank you so much. All that makes so much sense. Really appreciate the help.