Couldn't make a decision, until I saw this...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GReeeeN, Apr 20, 2015.

1. GReeeeN macrumors newbie

So I've been to 3 try on appointments, tossing up between the Apple Watch Sport - Space Grey and SS Apple Watch. I had both watches on pre-order, and couldn't decide if the extra $300AUD was worth investing in for a better finish for a first gen product. Finally with my 3rd try on appointment, the Apple Rep finally said yes to trying the Space Grey Sport w/ Classic Buckle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've ended up cancelling my SS and keeping the Sport with black sports band, and ordered 2 additional leather straps from Monoware's KickStarter Project. You can choose the finish of the clip, so instead of having a shiny SS clip as shown above, you can mix the leather straps with an Matte/ space grey clip to match the sports. Very happy with the overall look and now sleek the leather straps look with the sports.

Friday cant come soon enough!! :apple:

2. AaronChicago macrumors member

My OCD would burn for days with the mismatched SS bracket and aluminum space grey crown.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

No OCD here but the stainless steel mismatched with the aluminum is not easy to look at.

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

The OP said they got a third party leather strap with a space gray clip instead of the stainless steel.

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Lol same here- but to each his own.

I would put a Space Grey with the Black leather loop for a muted affair.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I agree it looks pretty good (assuming you do get the buckle to match color on the kickstarter).

Honestly, I'm getting super excited about the possibility of 3rd party bands. It's something I didn't really care much before, and I definitely didn't want to buy extra bands from $150-$450 from Apple, but if I can get a couple of dressy bands (one leather and one metal) from third parties for around $50-$60 each, then that'll be pretty awesome. I won't be getting my watch till June, and then I'll probably wait a month or 2. So I figure by July/August there will be a pretty wide selection of 3rd party bands.

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I'd powdercoat that clip and bottom piece to match. Shouldn't be more than 10 bucks

8. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Are the straps removable from the clip? Otherwise that's a poor plan, unless your idea was to get non-Apple straps. In which case, party on!

9. GReeeeN thread starter macrumors newbie

yep,

I ordered 1x SS clip and 1x Aluminium clip in case I upgrade to the SS within the next few years.. Anytime I want to change bands, I just switch them around on the necessary clips

10. eekz macrumors newbie

11. GReeeeN, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

GReeeeN thread starter macrumors newbie

I will use the Aluminium clip with the Sports Watch and change the bands around (ordered a navy and black leather band), so there will be no SS clip on the Sports, hence no corrosion

the additional SS clip I ordered was for future proofing in case I decide to upgrade to the SS watch in the future, then I can still use the 2 leather bands down the road.

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Woah, wait, we actually can separate the bands from the clip? Has this been verified anywhere? Because that suddenly makes something like Click or Monowear look a lot more attractive.

13. GReeeeN thread starter macrumors newbie

PM to the creators

[​IMG]

14. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the straps on the Apple-branded bands could be easily removed from the clip and attached to a third-party adapter. Sounds like you're just talking about swapping monowear straps with each other. Or am I misunderstanding?

15. GReeeeN thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh, I'm referring to the monoware straps/clips only

16. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

The SG aluminum and stainless steel mismatch would drive me nuts!

17. Cuyler macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. So aluminum is an un-noble metal, huh — and Jony Ive makes it sounds so good when he says "al-oo-min-ium".

I was wondering how compatible the steel bands were with the aluminum. If they are going to corrode the sports watch, Apple needs to make this clear to the public. I asked a couple of different Apple store employees and they told me the Milanese loop would work fine with the aluminum case.