Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nate94gt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
i was at a bar last night and wanted to check something out me and a buddy were discussing. I connected to the bars open wifi and was ready to go. I kept getting the "server not responding" popup. I couldnt take wifi off cuz i had no service in there (rolleyes). I tried toggling wifi on and off, toggled airplane mode, turned the phone on and off a few times. Nothing worked.
When we left i tried it again and got the same thing. Finally i was able to get it working after restarting the phone for a fifth time or so. It was over edge, not wifi.
Now its working fine on wifi from home.
anyone ever have that issue before?

jaiblroken 1.1.2 phone btw

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
Could have been an issue with the wifi at the bar and nothing to do with your phone. Bar could have left there router on and not paid the bill, so no service, but an open wifi connection. It happens...

nate94gt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Could have been an issue with the wifi at the bar and nothing to do with your phone. Bar could have left there router on and not paid the bill, so no service, but an open wifi connection. It happens...

ah, forgot to mention, there was another wifi connection in the bar from another local business, and i couldnt connect to that one, either :(

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Well sometimes when connecting to someone elses Wifi this happens quite often. They sometimes allow only certain devices onto it with there MAC address etc.

It happens with me in college. They have no security on one of the Wifi's yet it still won't work. So I really wouldn't worry.

pyebin

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Problem getting on with WIFI

Hello guys,
I am having a problem getting on to WIFI, my work has some WIFI networks and no password yet it keeps saying, "unable to join the network", My labtop will connect to it no problem but my phone wont. Also does anyone know if you can connect the iphone to the computer using the bluetooth? My computer can see it sometimes but says unable to detect service. What do I need to do to get it to work?

Thanks guys for the help in advance

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Anybody have an issue with their iPhone taking a very long time to pick up wifi after its been in standby for a few hours? This will happen to me even with my home wifi. The phone might take a whole 10-15 minutes after waking up to realize the wifi is there. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.