Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

couldn't wait any longer..how legit is spirit2pwn

jvice09

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
i cracked yesterday, after jumping the gun to 4.0 i have been running stock for about a month now. had only 3.1.3 shsh's on file and jailbroke with spirit and tried the spirit2pwn trick. it worked actually and i used pwnagetool to upgrade back to 4.0 with custom firmware. my question is, is there any difference with this method vs. waiting for the new comex release? or is a jailbreak a jailbreak and leave it at that? i just dont understand how it all works, good to have cydia back though!

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Everything *should* work fine. Basically, a jailbreak is a jailbreak. For safe measure, if you want you can restore and jailbreak when the new comex jailbreak comes out, but it's not required.

Comment

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Spirit2Pwn is a way of pwning your phone even if you can't downgrade to 3.1.2 or earlier, and allows you to upgrade to a custom firmware. If it worked for you, great. I don't recommend it simply because it is from an unknown source and claimed to have been created by two developers who have disowned it.

If it worked, then you're actually in better shape than with Comex' upcoming userland jailbreak, which will not get you on the "jailbreak train" and assure you the ability to upgrade to future versions while preserving your jailbreak and unlock. Just make sure you never upgrade to any official firmware, but always wait for a new version of PwnageTool to be released.

Comment

jvice09

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
If it worked, then you're actually in better shape than with Comex' upcoming userland jailbreak, which will not get you on the "jailbreak train" and assure you the ability to upgrade to future versions while preserving your jailbreak and unlock.

awesome thanks! dont really care about the unlock i just had to be jailbroken again. plus i always trust pwnage tool

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.