couldn't wait any longer..how legit is spirit2pwn

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jvice09, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

i cracked yesterday, after jumping the gun to 4.0 i have been running stock for about a month now. had only 3.1.3 shsh's on file and jailbroke with spirit and tried the spirit2pwn trick. it worked actually and i used pwnagetool to upgrade back to 4.0 with custom firmware. my question is, is there any difference with this method vs. waiting for the new comex release? or is a jailbreak a jailbreak and leave it at that? i just dont understand how it all works, good to have cydia back though!

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Everything *should* work fine. Basically, a jailbreak is a jailbreak. For safe measure, if you want you can restore and jailbreak when the new comex jailbreak comes out, but it's not required.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Spirit2Pwn is a way of pwning your phone even if you can't downgrade to 3.1.2 or earlier, and allows you to upgrade to a custom firmware. If it worked for you, great. I don't recommend it simply because it is from an unknown source and claimed to have been created by two developers who have disowned it.

If it worked, then you're actually in better shape than with Comex' upcoming userland jailbreak, which will not get you on the "jailbreak train" and assure you the ability to upgrade to future versions while preserving your jailbreak and unlock. Just make sure you never upgrade to any official firmware, but always wait for a new version of PwnageTool to be released.

4. jvice09 thread starter macrumors member

jvice09

awesome thanks! dont really care about the unlock i just had to be jailbroken again. plus i always trust pwnage tool