Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dano0726

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
NW Houston
As luck had it, Wifey's PC crashed, and we bought a "current" (new is stretching it...) MBA 13 with 8gigs of RAM and 128GB SSD from Best Buy...today was $150 off sale, so we traded in (1) iPad 4 Retina for $125, and (2) Apple TV 2nd Generation for $25...

List price of $999 less BBUY $150 discount less trade-ins $150 = $699 before tax

She loves it.......

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Not a wrong decision. Good price and it's a really nice machine. No one knows IF there will be another refresh anyways. And if so it doesn't make your current MBA worse.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I've been struggling with this decision myself. The BBuy price is hard to pass up. I'm gonna give it another 2 weeks for Apple to come out with a new MBA or rMBP before I do anything.

I'll kick myself if BBuy ends the MBA sale and Apple doesn't come out with anything I really want.

Reactions: miamialley

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
As luck had it, Wifey's PC crashed, and we bought a "current" (new is stretching it...) MBA 13 with 8gigs of RAM and 128GB SSD from Best Buy...today was $150 off sale, so we traded in (1) iPad 4 Retina for $125, and (2) Apple TV 2nd Generation for $25...

List price of $999 less BBUY $150 discount less trade-ins $150 = $699 before tax

She loves it.......

Nice deal, same system is 849 on the refurbished. Enjoy, I have a MBPr and for what ever reason still like the MBA better. Probably because of the slimness. Who knows, and I seriously doubt there going to do anything drastic to this for updates, definitely do NOT see them making it retina but time will tell. I'd say by the end of October we should all know something

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I've been struggling with this decision myself. The BBuy price is hard to pass up. I'm gonna give it another 2 weeks for Apple to come out with a new MBA or rMBP before I do anything.

I'll kick myself if BBuy ends the MBA sale and Apple doesn't come out with anything I really want.

I've been holding off for well over a year! I will give it until December and then I've GOT to get something. My MBP is EIGHT years old.

Reactions: ftaok

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Doesn't BHphotovideo have a lot of apple products for no sales tax outside NY? They also have decent deals going on all the time.

Reactions: ftaok

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Doesn't BHphotovideo have a lot of apple products for no sales tax outside NY? They also have decent deals going on all the time.
Yes, that is correct. In fact, as of this morning, B&H has the best price for the MBA13/i5/8/128 at $899. Best Buy is now running that model at $100 off (sadly, I missed the $150 off sale) and their price is $899.99

For me, I live close enough to a tax-free state that has tons of Best Buy stores.

EDIT - And B&H has a better freebie than Best Buy. BB is offering 6 months of Kapersky's latest virus, while B&H is offering a copy of Parallels 12.

EDIT - the "virus" shot was intentional. I know, I know. If you have to explain a joke, it's probably not that funny.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
B&H is terrific. I got my 2013 i7/8gb/512gb in the store there. No other vendor, including all the Apple Stores stocked those, they were build to order models. Last week I needed a base model mini and ended up getting it at Best Buy since I wanted it immediately. If I had been more patient, B&H was selling the same thing for $40 less, I wouldn't have paid sales tax, and they have free next day shipping in my area. ;)

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010

She loves it.......
Congrats on that decision. I got the same as a refurb but with 8/256 about 4 months ago.
I'm just surprised why you would take the measly trade-in offerings. Ebay or CL would've netted you a lot more cash back.

Anyhow, great machine and it'll last you for years to come. They way Apple is going, I probably won't be interested in any new models whenever Apple gets around to refresh them.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU

She loves it.......

Mate, I did the same thing. I needed a laptop for writing and coding and a local retailer was offering 15% off. I wanted a Mac after two years of using Linux. Hardware wise it's everything need. Apple will either the dump or revise it in a direction I don't like. I love the keyboard, the screen is perfectly fine for my needs and the performance is great. Best laptop I've owned.

Reactions: Boyd01

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Congrats on that decision. I got the same as a refurb but with 8/256 about 4 months ago.
I'm just surprised why you would take the measly trade-in offerings. Ebay or CL would've netted you a lot more cash back.

Anyhow, great machine and it'll last you for years to come. They way Apple is going, I probably won't be interested in any new models whenever Apple gets around to refresh them.

How are the refurbished ones? Do they look and work just like an entirely new one? Or is there a possibility of marks or scratches? Do the refurbished ones always come with the exact some accessories and packaging?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Ok. I bit the bullet. Bought the MBA 13/i5/8/128 at best buy for$899.99

If something comes out that blows my mind, I could return it, but I doubt they'll come out with a new MBA that'll dramatically beat my 2013 i7. At least that's what I'll tell myself.

Reactions: sracer

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
How are the refurbished ones? Do they look and work just like an entirely new one? Or is there a possibility of marks or scratches? Do the refurbished ones always come with the exact some accessories and packaging?
Absolutely!
I wouldn't buy any other "refurbs" except Apple products. The cases look brand new, the batteries are new (worst case was 3 cycles on the clock, the warranty is the same and even the packaging is exactly the same these days (they dropped the "white box" packaging), except it'll say "Refurbished" on the box. I've bought my last 3 Macs that way and have never regretted it.

Unless a sales price on a new product exceeds or comes close to the refurb price, I'm always going to choose the refurb.

Also, for those looking to run older Mac OS X versions, there are occasionally 2012-2014 versions available.
[doublepost=1475998579][/doublepost]
Ok. I bit the bullet. Bought the MBA 13/i5/8/128 at best buy for$899.99

If something comes out that blows my mind, I could return it, but I doubt they'll come out with a new MBA that'll dramatically beat my 2013 i7. At least that's what I'll tell myself.
If it helps, I'll tell you that as well :)
2013 was the year they increased the battery life dramatically and the '14/'15 only gained small incremental improvements. Also, I wish I could run Mavericks on mine still, but I wanted the faster SSD speeds in the newer 2015 MBAs. Not that I can tell the diff in day to day usage.

I've regretted having sold my 2012 Mac Mini i7-quad prior to the 2014 Mini coming out, thinking I'd be smart getting ahead of the game. Then a huge letdown with only dual cores. So this time, I've lowered my expectations and happy with what's available today, hence my refurb purchase of the 2015 MBA 8/256/i5.

Apple's dropping too many useful ports and messing with things that don't need messing with, like the Macbook keyboard.
AFAIK, there still isn't a Laptop with i5/i7 processors on the market that is sub 1.4kg weight and has a battery that seriously lasts a full day, or 12-14hrs.

Sure people criticize the display quality, but my point is, at home, I use external IPS Monitors, on the road, the TN panels is sufficient and battery life is more important to me than a prettier screen. Besides, the MBP 13" is exactly that, an MBA with more ports, an IPS panel and a larger/heavier battery.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Awesome news, at least for me. Best Buy is currently running the MBA 13/i5/8/128 for $850 again. I was still within my return period (14 days) so I made a quick phone call and they're gonna credit me $50.

I'm glad I bought it at Best Buy instead of B&H Photo.

Reactions: sracer

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I like Best Buy too, bought my iPhone 6s+ there last year, bought a Mini and a couple monitors last month. It's especially nice when you want to return or exchange something.

But, FWIW, B&H sells the 13" MBA i5/8gb/128gb for $899 (with no tax and free next day shipping). An $850 MBA from Best Buy would cost me $910 because of the state sales tax. :)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yup, couldn't wait myself. Note7 was discontinued. Couldn't wait for the V20 and MacBook announcement either since I have a trip on Sunday. Been playing around with my MBA 13 last night for a couple of hours and it is pretty cool. Have 30 days to decide to return it but might just keep it since I could get a PS4 slim with games or V20. The iPhone 7/7 Plus no longer is an option for me. Don't like the design and matte black 7 at all. And unlike MacBook, I can't just drag and drop.

Not familiar with the navigation being used to Windows but I only need a few requirements. Long battery life, fast transfer speed, doesn't heat up, and loud speakers. Does them all well. I was able to transfer 77GB from my 2TB external hard drive to the MBA in 10 minutes so I can transfer it to another external hard drive. That's all I really need. Ability to transfer without the need of iTunes. Oh, and no longer get bombarded by anti-virus spam or blue screens. Yay!

Wouldn't say I am a Mac lover just yet but it is pretty nice so far. I used it for over an hour and still at 88%. Do wish it could recognize my Android phones and read mkv without another program . Would hold it and just admire the craftsmanship even though the design is pretty old now. For an Apple, I definitely like it more than iOS devices. Eventually, might fall in love with it as years goes by because how reliable it is.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The iPhone 7/7 Plus no longer is an option for me. And unlike MacBook, I can't just drag and drop.
….
Ability to transfer without the need of iTunes.

I love my MBA (and my other Macs), a phone or iPad could never take their place. But I also have a 128gb iPhone 6s Plus and really like it. Not exactly sure what you're getting at with those comments, but I can drag/drop files on my phone without iTunes by using a program called iMazing: https://imazing.com

Works really well and it's fast over wifi since my phone has 802.11ac. I think there are some other similar programs also.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
But, FWIW, B&H sells the 13" MBA i5/8gb/128gb for $899 (with no tax and free next day shipping). An $850 MBA from Best Buy would cost me $910 because of the state sales tax. :)
I'm in Delaware so all best buy stores are sales tax free.

So folks near Delaware, new Hampshire, or Oregon have that benefit

dano0726

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
NW Houston
I just ordered a 2nd one of these/identical -- 13.3" MacBook Air with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD from B&H Photo..used a $100 gift card as well so I'm all in for $799

Reactions: Boyd01 and Osty

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
For what it's worth, BB is now running another sale. This time, both MBA's are $200 off.

At this price, I'm picking up another one for my younger daughter. The old 2006 Macbook Core Duo is not cutting it anymore. That's even with an SSD to help speed things up. It's about time I retire it. 11 years is more than my money's worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.