Couldn't wait till 3GS so here's what I did

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleshman03, Jun 13, 2009.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

My girlfriend had her mind made up that she was going to get a 3G 16GB iPhone no matter what I said about the 3GS. She wanted the 3G for $50 less and there was nothing that could be done.

So we went to the ATT store, planning on getting the 3G and I'd place my order for a 3GS 32GB. While there I had a nifty idea. I asked if I could buy a $99 3G 8GB and exchange it once my 3GS came in. The sales lady said alright. (I think she was a manager...)

She agreed and even offered to call me once my 3GS came in.

So here I am with a 3G 8GB for about a week. (Maybe less)

Just thought I'd share....

2. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

yup this is what AT&T calls an 'upgrade swap', I'll probably do this aswell since I can't upgrade :(

3. TXBDan macrumors regular

Thats a pretty ****** thing to do imo. You basically wasted all sorts of resources from time to money to energy just so you can work the system to have a phone for 7 days.

:rolleyes:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why do you care?:rolleyes:

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

People buy clothes all the time for functions, and then take them back.

This isn't much different.

And it isn't "working the system" either.

Just about any store on the planet has a 30 day return policy.

6. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Well for what this is worth, I bought a $30 case that I don't plan on taking it out of, and making sure the battery gets a good calibration.

I'm fully aware that someone will get this phone after me. I want them to get a good phone and not be punished because of something I did.

Wonder what they are gonna sell the Referb 3G 8GB for? $79?

Also, I'm paying a $10 restocking free. The way I see it, I'm renting it for a week or so and they will need to put new headphones in. That's that @ wholesale? $5?

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

Ummmmmm....that's pretty much the definition of "working the system".

You use a policy that is meant for people to return defective or unwanted merchandise to your benefit by allowing you to basically "rent" an outfit or whatever for free then return it saying it doesn't work for you. Using a policy to do something it was specifically not intended for is called "working the system". Thanks for playing.

8. amorican macrumors member

amorican

I don't see what the big deal is about this. More power to ya' OP!

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

That is exactly what the OP is doing.
    You're welcome.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

guess who pays the bill for it? look in the mirror and you will know who pays for it.

11. MXChristian11 macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

12. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Indeed. After all, we're dealing with AT&T here, lest you forget.

Am I to suppose the naysayers are cool with 20¢ text messages and $40/month tethering?

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

I was more referring to people who do that with clothes. That's pretty different, and just weird. I really just can't believe how cheap and needy some people are. And with the 3GS...those who are canceling contracts, double-porting numbers across different carriers, and just doing anything possible to get the phone 2 weeks earlier than they could if they just waited until they were eligible for the upgrade. Ugh.

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Oh, I can't argue with that one. And it was probably not the best comparison on my part as a slightly used electronic device is a tad different than worn clothes.
    Well..

I kind of fall into this boat, and I don't see what the big deal is. From everything I have tried, if I just want to get the phone, it's $600 or wait til March 2010.

So I am going to instead, upgrade my son's phone line, then give him my 3G and take the 3GS for me. My son is 14 and will be VERY happy with the 3G compared to his current phone, a Sony w600i.

15. snatefinch macrumors member

I might be doing something like this. I went and pre ordered myself a 3GS today, but the guy told me that it would probably not be there by Friday, but it could be. And he said that since I want it fast, that even if it doesnt come in Friday, I can go in there on Friday, buy a 3GS and once my pre order comes in he will just return it.