council comes up with way to reduce salt intake

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by scotthayes, Aug 2, 2008.

1. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm surprised they only spent £450 and not 10x that.

2. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

And in related news...

The government will introduce a law restricting the circumference of straws in the hopes of reducing the consumption of carbonated sugar beverages.

Opponents of the new law said carbonated sugar beverage drinkers will just suck harder

/SARCASM

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Plus salt users will get more exercise by shaking more to get the same amount of salt out.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would like to suggest that, irrespective of how many holes the shaker has, this is probably too much salt.

[​IMG]

It would seem like a not half bad idea (a salt shaker is not like a soda glass -- you have no intention of emptying it. I actually would think that making the holes fewer would probably have a small to modest impact on average salt consumption). But I think there are better options and that a combined approach of several is probably the best.... Like more education, publicly visible signs, particularly in restaurant districts, reminding people to lower salt consumption, public health education booths at grocery stores, talking to local restaurants about reducing the salt in their foods, documenting sodium and other nutritional data on menus, starring low salt options, and increasing accessibility to salt substitutes.

And run more and use up more sodium. :p It is still the trailing end of of summer in the Nothern Hemisphere, after all. LOL non-runners are concerned about consuming too much sodium. Us distance runners are afraid of running out of sodium!

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Here's a novel idea:

Don't add salt to stuff! :eek:

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Even better use a salt grinder. Then get a real workout, especially if the recipe calls for a few teaspoons of salt.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Or just buy a salt substitute.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah, most people have the bad habit of salting their food before even tasting it. I think they just like shaking the salt shaker.

9. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

People don't do that when I've cooked a meal. They soon stopped after the first two people who did, ended up with their hand pinned to the table with an 8" chefs knife :D

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Back, about 1,000 years ago, we just used to put a little circle of cardboard under the cap, with a smaller hole in it.

Cost = zero.

11. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Wow. Can the British Government get any more involved in your life?
    They need to consider how much salt the shaker is dispensing?

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I never add salt. There's a history of high blood pressure in my family, so I don't need to make it worse.

13. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

This just makes the whole loosening the top to fall off trick more potent. I approve. :cool:

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be fair it's a local council that have taken this step and not the Government, who prefer to spend their time devising other ways to poke their noses into what we get up to.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Or what gets us up.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

On the other hand, your central government pays for it when you need healthcare, does it not? We live in a strange time indeed when it's a good use of our money to invade and occupy other countries at great cost but spending on public health is seen as wasteful.

Hypertension contributes to cardiovascular risk -- it increases the risks of heart disease, heart failure, stroke, depression, and numerous other diseases. Besides being expensive for tax payers to treat, all of these conditions are seriously life impairing.

Why is it so awful to get some "help" to live better?

(I've probably pushed this strongly in the direction of PRSI, haven't I? :eek: )

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Begin the snow balling effect...

I'm slightly disappointed that it took £450 and a council to say that less holes will mean less salt will come out a shaker... But still, better than spending £450,000 on sending artists to the north pole to make a snowman...

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, I'm sure we can behave ourselves. :eek: When I referred to the poking in of noses, I was thinking of stuff like ID cards and other ways those in power keep tabs on us, not anything health related in particular.

Indeed they do, but we are talking about the actions of one local council here rather than national Government policy. I'm certain that there are better uses for money and time than daft schemes like this – as mentioned in the article scotthayes linked to in the opening post and by several others in this thread, all people are going to do is shake the salt pot for longer to end up with exactly the same amount on their food.

Let's be honest though – how many times a week would the average person be visiting the chippie to use these new style shakers? Once, twice at most maybe? The amount of salt that is being reduced from their diet would therefore be tiny – and of course it wouldn't affect those who don't go in there in the first place.

Perhaps the money spent on this scheme would be better spent going towards educating the public on the dangers of too much salt in ones diet, which as you rightly say can lead to serious (and costly to treat) health problems in the long term?

19. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Yes. I've reported your post to a, um...

Never mind. :eek:

20. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Wouldn't it be better to just change to a potassium based salt? A product in the US is called, no salt. Lot easier than changing the hole sizes :D

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even easier.

Put sea salt in their shakers.

See if they can get any salt out!!

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

As far as a partial solution to excess salt intake goes it's not a bad idea and cheap.

23. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

My only complaint would be, got to have the salt for my baked potato. No two ways about it. Little holes, take more shaking. :rolleyes:

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry