Count my wife's launch window ss modern buckle as another back separation

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by melman101, Jul 5, 2016.

1. melman101, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

melman101 macrumors 68030

Woke up this morning and my wife's 38mm ceramic back is completely separating from the Stainless Steel body. Tried to setup an express replacement but the system kept crashing. Apple is supposed to call me tomorrow.

Edited for clarification

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Are you saying the back is separating from the AW body, or the modern buckle band is separating?

3. melman101, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

The ceramic back is separating from the Stainless Steel Apple Watch body. It's hanging by a cable.

Nothing wrong with the bands. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

They did call me this morning. Set up an express replacement. $557 dollars later, hopefully I'll have the watch Friday they said.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The composite back is on the aluminum model. Stainless has a ceramic back. None the less, good to hear its being taken care of. When you get your new one, un-pair the current watch to force a backup. Then pair the new and select the restore option.

5. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the clarification. I always get those mixed up. I fixed my previous messages as to not confuse anyone.

I had to unpair the watch before I even starting the repair process with Apple. :-(. that was actually kind of annoying.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They usually give you a new one rather than repair it when the back comes off. Unpairing is the equivalent of turning off Find My iPhone.

7. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I understand that. My point was that I wanted them to ship me the watch as soon as I started the chat. I didn't bring the watch with me to work since it was broken, so I had to wait all day to get home to do it. Meanwhile, the support site was not working last night, and so they processed it this morning.

I could have turned off activation lock after I received new watch. They did charge me $557 for the replacement, so if the lock wasn't off, they could have just kept their money.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I guess they do it because too many people forget. They'd rather have you do it now than charge $557 and deal with the onslaughter of phone calls trying to correct this.

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's only if the OP doesn't return the defective AW when the replacement arrives.

11. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Strange. I'm having issues with my 42mm SS and the 'send it for repair' price was $329. I've held off so far hoping that once the battery dies it'll be better after a new charge. Regardless, $557 seems like a weird price. Also, both prices are far too high IMO for something that can now be purchased new for $399 in the case of the 42mm SS.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Two different prices. $329 is the out of warranty repair price and $550 is the replacement value for 42mm SS specifically for AC+ express replacement, but this is only a temporary hold.

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service/pricing

13. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Got replacement watch today. Not bad. I'll ship back old watch tomorrow :)

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Glad to hear it. Bit the bullet and ponied up for the repair. Expecting my box in a couple days.

15. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Do they ship the replacement with as new bands as well or just the watch case?

16. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Just watch case.