Counter Strike Beta for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by 0makol16, May 29, 2010.

1. 0makol16 macrumors regular

0makol16

I just finished playing some Half-Life 2 on my MacBook and when I went to my games library I was able to install the Counter Strike Beta

pic:
    [​IMG]

right when I took the picture the download froze :(

2. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

its available to play for some...i got in and played a few matches. it runs great!

3. Xavier macrumors 68030

This time last year, no one would have thought that this game would be running natively on the mac

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Did you just install it today? I check in on it occasionally but only get the:

Notice: Thanks for your interest. We've filled the available slots.

I'm particularly looking forward to the release of CS:S for the Mac and would love to give the beta a spin.

5. mckvakk macrumors regular

Off-topic, but still on-topic

Is Counter strike Source a paid game or is it free like the original?

6. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

i installed it yesterday, it just popped out of no where on my games list...a bunch of ppl say they are having problems getting on but I have not experienced any...i would post a screenshot but im afraid i might get kicked off the beta or soemthing

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

Update: CS:S is not free, its 20$ separate from the Orange Box.

8. hotwire macrumors newbie

I just bought the Orange Box and it didn't say anything about Counter Strike being included. Do you mean Team Fortress 2?

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

http://store.steampowered.com/app/240

Holy crap, I apologize. I thought it was included, I never bought CS:S, I don't know why I have it for free. They must've changed something, maybe I got it for free with a voucher or something.

10. 0makol16 thread starter macrumors regular

0makol16

I got in the beta on the day it was first released for PC, but I can't install it on my MacBook since I keep getting the "Steam Servers are too busy" message.

11. mckvakk macrumors regular

Okay. Thanks:)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had it for free on my old account too, not exactly sure why I got it. It must have been a promo thing because I didn't pay a penny. I did buy HL2 and Episode 1 separately (at their respective launches).

13. G-Force macrumors 6502a

The back of my HL2 dvd case (bought at launch) says "Also included: Counter-Strike: Source". I've never seen this beta pop-up on my list though.

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

Wasn't CS:S included for free at launch for HL2, I think that's how I got my copy. Maybe buying the actual HL2 at launch entitled you for CS:S free, but not the orange box and current HL2 deal.

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

HL:2 Came with CS:S and DOD:S, which came out like a year later for people who bought HL2 on Steam.

EP1 came with HL2: Deathmatch, I believe. They might have also included the earlier things if you bought the "HL2 Platinum Pack" or something like that.

EP2 as part of the Orange Box came with Portal and TF:2

So if you bought anything before the Orange Box, you might have gotten CS:S as part of the deal. And possibly DOD:S, too.

16. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Wow nice catch. I'm already in the beta on the Windows side and now also have the option to install. Unfortunately "servers are too busy" so I can't actually finish it and play on the Mac side yet.

17. SParker1tx macrumors newbie

I'm at 10% right now! I have been playing on my Windows 7 Boot Camp side for a while now never realized I could play it on my MAC side now I don't need Windows 7 anymore woooo

18. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

OK finally got CS:S Beta to finish downloading. The trick was to switch my content server to one over in Europe (I'm in Houston). After a while it finished downloading and will launch.

It is buggy, the dock and menu bar stay on top of the game even in full screen mode. I also ran the video stress test, averaged 37 FPS. Same computer under Windows 7 averages 260 FPS. Still some work to do.

19. rbarris macrumors 6502

Which OS are you running?

Work is being done, but it will only help 10.6.x.

20. Aloush macrumors member

This is amazing news!
    I am still a PC but will be getting my Mac in summer.
    I have 70+ games on steam and CSS is the one i was most concerned about so happy to hear about this :D

21. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Hey rbarris I appreciate the response, I'm sure y'all are busy.

I'm on 10.5.8. I'll be honest, when Steam for Mac was first announced I was fully expecting all the games to be 10.6 only, it wouldn't have bothered me too much. I was pleasantly surprised to see everything so far released for 10.5 as well (there are two bugs fairly important to my work, 1 Apple/1 third-party, that have kept me from upgrading).

So I've gotta ask: does this mean that all performance improvements being worked on for HL2 / Portal / (source in general) will only benefit those running 10.6? Or has CS:S been designated Snow Leopard only while other games will be 10.5 compatible?

EDIT: I also wasn't trying to sound like I was complaining in my "buggy" post. I fully expect there to be bugs that need to be worked out in all these games, not a big deal, they'll get fixed in time. Just mostly wanted to give an update to those still hoping to get it installed.

22. rbarris macrumors 6502

We haven't yet designated any games as "10.6 only". Just be aware that there aren't going to be any graphic driver updates for 10.5, and driver updates are where we're going to obtain a significant share of performance improvements over time.

23. furious macrumors 65816

furious

24. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

OK, and as I understand it Apple is solely in control of the driver updates. So this basically means that Apple is working to improve their video drivers, but only on the current shipping OS and has no plans to update drivers on 10.5. Nothing wrong with that and good to know.