Counter Strike Source + CrossOver

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Jethryn Freyman, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've got an Intel, 10.5 Macbook Pro with the Gefroce 8600M GT.

CSS runs horribly, though. Dual booting in Windows XP/Vista can run it with max detail, Parallels barely runs it at minimal settings, and Crossover runs it just OK on low detail settings. The worst part is the mouse speed slows down when the framerate is low.

I've tried different bottles, as well as CrossOver Games.

Any tips?

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

if you want maximum performance, stick with boot camp.

crossover runs windows games horribly because they were made to run on, you guessed it, windows, and not wine.

with that being said, if you feel it takes too long to run boot camp and you dont mind the performance loss, stick with parallels or crossover

3. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

You can get CS:S to run better with Crossover, but it will still run crap compared to Boot Camp no matter what.

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I'd rather Boot Camp it but I've got PGP Whole Disk encryption, which doesn't work with BC :)()

5. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Increasing the resolution actually doesn't hurt performance much, I think there's some fundamental problem with Crossover + CSS that I can't seem to see.

6. MasterDev macrumors 65816

If you're a true CS:S player, you shouldn't even have to think twice about only using bootcamp to run it on your Mac. I can't stand ANY sort of lag or slowdown when it comes to FPS. Another reason why I play most of them on consoles.

7. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

it worked fine for me, but i dont really like css, so i stuck w/ 1.6 adn condition zero. TF2 also worked fine

8. halisray macrumors regular