Counter Strike: Source for Mac - Is it active?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by dingdongbubble, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Hi

I read that Counter Strike: Source got released for the Mac. So I am thinking of getting it. But I am concerned about there not being a lot of players online. Is it still active? And by active I mean with 'normal' players not those super expert demigods who have no life.

Lastly will it run well on a 13" MBP from Sept last year?

Thanks

2. spalding4130 macrumors newbie

yes it is ACTIVE!! as of today at like 12 noon JUNE 23 they went LIVE.

wow amazing! I have been waiting for so long for this.. been using my ******** PC just to play this game..

All the info is at www.steampowered.com

cross platform
    new upgrades
    free if you had a pc account
    much more..

im having decent results like 60+
    at medium graphics

please post your input.. how about some configs

btw im on brand new 13' macbook pro uni

3. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Yes CS:S is still very actively played. You can find stats for all Steam games here:
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Right now there are 16,880 players online and the peak today was 76,939. Now to the other question, since CS:S has been around for so long you are going to run into some really good players. However this recent release will hopefully bring back some folks like me who haven't played in a while and as such aren't very good. :D

4. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Wow this game is complete crap in 10.6.4. I don't know how it is in 10.6.3 but this makes me so mad..

I've tried all settings on my Late 2009 MBP (2.8GHz) in clamshell AND just on the laptop itself.

1920x1080
    1600x900
    1376x768
    1280x760

1440x900

Tried all on recommended settings, medium settings, full low settings.
    Always caps out at 60fps, regardless of gl_bufmode 1 and fps_max 300. Forget about trying to play it on anything higher than Low because then you'll see wicked fps drops when you're turning around. Motion blur is off as well..

I don't understand.. Portal was so fluid for me.

5. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

If you're capping out at 60fps, you probably have v-sync on. See if your wait for vertical refresh or whatever valve calls it these days is on under advanced options.

6. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I have this ancient Half-Life Platinum box set from... the year 2001 maybe? Anyway, I don't think I ever created a Steam account back then. I just installed on my PC and found servers to play on. Right about then, they were talking about some new Steam thing, blah blah, and I stopped playing before that happened... about 2003.

So, I installed Steam on my Mac, clicked "add a game," and punched in the key for Counter-Strike. It added all these games to my library, like Team Fortress Classic, Ricochet, three Half-Life games, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic and Counter-Strike. Then, they all downloaded onto my Mac. Great!

So I click "play" on CS. It says it's not available for my platform. WTF. Do I have to buy and install a special download for Mac, or is it just not ready like it says it is? I'm pretty sure my Mac is good to go, based on my specs in my profile below...

Can anyone clue me in on this?

7. myca macrumors 6502

None of those games are available for the mac, that's why they won't launch, it was CS:S that was just released, but it's on offer at the moment and is cheap as chips :)

8. EnglishPsycho macrumors newbie

Hello, in response to your question Wonderspark, i believe the games you are talking about are not source games, so if they are indeed the set of games from around 2001 then they aren't compatible with the mac yet (if ever!?)
    As far as i am aware, only the source versions of these games are available on steam right now (ie Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike Source etc)
    I can't play my original counterstrike Condition Zero set as it isn't compatible with mac either, so i had to purchase the source games i listed above.

Regards

9. EnglishPsycho macrumors newbie

In response to Counterstrike Source, it runs as sweet as on my macbook (not even pro) running 10.6.4. Settings are on med-high, max resolution.
    I seem to have a lot of trouble running Team Fortress 2 smoothly though, even on low settings, not too bothered though i have CS:S now :D

10. Jomskylark macrumors regular

Counter Strike Source runs great on my 13inch MBP (although it was purchased in June 2010) and there are a ton of people and variety of games.

11. Gabedm macrumors newbie

How in the hell did you get the mac version of CS source to run on a 2.0ghz macbook!!!

When I used bootcamp back in the day I was able to make the PC version run easy by changing the -dxlevel 80 in the prestartup options. I try the same to make it work for the intel graphics on the mac and it has no effect!

I am running 10.6.4 2.0ghz, 1gb ram and intel integrated graphics.

Does anyone know how to stop making the god damn screen flicker so i can play? I just see flashing counterterrorists hahah.
    thanks.

12. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

lol active its still like one of the most popular pc games. I think that it will be fully active until it becomes unplayable. Like computer games from two decades ago.

13. EnglishPsycho macrumors newbie

I'm still playing it strong, and have yet to experience any major hitches.
    I'm running a basic 13" macbook (mid 2009) wiv 2ghz duo core, 2gb ram, nvidia graphics card (I think it's a 256mb 9400m)