countForFetchRequest & Swift 2

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Mascots, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

The delectation for executeFetchRequest was converted for Swift 2:

func executeFetchRequest(_request: NSFetchRequest) throws -> [AnyObject]​

while countForFetchRequest still expects an error pointer passed through it:

func countForFetchRequest(_request: NSFetchRequest, errorerror: NSErrorPointer) -> Int

So like, did Apple just forget to convert or do you think there was a reason?

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

No sure. That seems weird that they would forget to convert it. Maybe someone else knows why apple would want to leave the old error pointer stuff in? Obj c compatibility is the only thing I could possibly think of. After all, most of their code is still in obj c.

3. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

They didn't give a rat's about BC with Swift 2, so it seems way inconsistent.

I know Core Data is suffering during the Swift migration, but I honestly think they just overlooked it.

4. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

suffering?

5. 1458279 Suspended

I see it reads: "throws -> [AnyObject]"
    Does that mean that AnyObject would contain the error? Maybe it's because one executes a command and the other returns an Int. In other words, it has to have a way to get to the error object, either by a return or a pointer.

6. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

There have been many issues introduced with Swift in Core Data.
    From the top of my head
    - Broken Xcode NSManagedObject subclass generation
    - Misdocumented side effects of namespacing, pretty much requiring your model to be a framework if you test or use an extension
    - Awkward and inconsistent syntax, mostly from the way they exploit Obj-c's runtime which worked well at one point.
    - Inconsistent adaption to Swift methods ;)

Overall, there's just a lot of edge cases that you'll only run into while working with it, often requiring a bit of forethought and research.

I still like it though.

7. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

No error pointer in Swift 2 - the throws signifies an error may be thrown while [AnyObject] refers to the casted NSManagedObject in an array, only. You simply catch the error and don't have to handle a pointer.

It's in sharp contrast to Objective-C's way, which still seems to affect countForFR.