Counting Quotes

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by guzhogi, Feb 15, 2010.

1. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I was just thinking, you know how MacRumors counts how many posts you make? & then gives you a name under your user name that signifies different milestones? Like there are MacRumors Newbies, Regulars, 6502s, etc.? One thing I'd like to see: how many times you're quoted. Would be kinda cool to see.

2. amon91 macrumors newbie

Haha yeah, sounds interesting but I'm not sure if there's any vB mod available. :(

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Might as well add how many times we get +1'd as well. ;)

4. amon91 macrumors newbie

Kinda like a rep system? Yes, that would be interesting, and many forums already have it.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This I can agree with in seriousness. Just because someone has a high post count doesn't mean the content of their posts are reputable.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but that could lead to people believeing a certain poster has a more right answer than a new person which may not be the case

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Counting quotes wouldn't have anything to do with post quality; It's bad enough so many members get crazed over post count.

It would take the innocent fun out of quoting someone. A Rep system would be a better idea because it's based on the merits of the member as a whole, not a particular post.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I didn't say I wanted a Rep system, I was just saying it would make more sense than a quote counting system. Personally, I think rep is stupid. We all stand on our own merits.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This quote just pretty much changed my mind towards your view. I can see how it can be abused and how people could be focused on the rep system.

I think it would be useful in the Troubleshooting sections, I guess that's what I was most aiming for.

It wouldn't do diddly squat in opinionated sections like this or PRSI.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree with Melrose.

Just another way to keep score of something that doesn't need it. A person's reputation should be based on what they say. We already know who's who around here, and this is based solely on things that are said in the various forums around here. A qualitative approach is fine.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I like the qualitative approach as well. I'm not sure how much value would be to keep the score simply for the score's sake.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Totally correct. Often what gets quoted is a confused user's mangled misunderstandings so that those can be sorted out. But, I'm not sure what the OP's intent is for counting quotes.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Popularity
    Validation
    Attention

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you really want to see how many quote you, you can do a search on:

QUOTE=<your name>

Such as

QUOTE=SilentPanda

(now the forum search is gonna break with all the new searches! :p)

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

+1. That ='s 2 for you.:p

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

we have search?! :eek: :D

17. ethical macrumors 68000

I don't need to worry about my post count....having infinite posts and all.

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Assumptions all...

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have no need to know how many times I am quoted, and I'm not interested in that either. However, I would *love* to know WHEN I am quoted.

Is is possible to have an auto-email whenever I'm quoted in a thread? The current system of auto-emails that notify me of replies to a subscribed thread tends to break down when subscribed to highly popular threads.

Just emailing me when I'm quoted would be a nice option in that situation, and also be good if I wanted to cut down on the number of auto-notify emails I get.

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

This has been discussed a few times before and I believe it's not currently possible. I'm also not sure I'd want a user to know they could trigger an e-mail sent to me. :eek: They might do it just to annoy!

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

This is a non-issue. No user's gonna know what your settings are or which threads you have this on for (or even if you have it on or off on a thread level or global level).

And anyone being a jerk can be banned or put on your ignore list. There's already many existing ways to annoy other users, all of which will set lose the hamsters of bannination. :)