Counting Steps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wanderer, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Wanderer macrumors member

Do I have to have my iPhone on my person in in order to count steps?
    I leave the phone on the desk at work and walk around with the watch on, but it doesn't appear to count my steps unless the pone is with me.
    Am I looking at this right? Is the watch just for displaying the steps info that the phone records.
    I expected it to fully replace my Fitbit, but so far, I am disappointed.

Thanks,

Wanderer

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You need to try it again as your watch should count your steps without you iPhone.

3. phil.w macrumors newbie

the watch counts the steps but i read that if you have your iphone with you it would count it more accuracy

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

With you iPhone with you on GPS it will calibrate and make the watch more accurate as far as distance traveled but not how many steps.

5. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

The Watch counts your steps accurately with or without your phone. The distance you travel is not accurate unless you carry your phone because the Watch does not have its own GPS.

Apple claims you can calibrate your Watch by carrying your Phone several times when using the Workout App, but I have found the calibration does not work. If you really need an accurate distance, you will have to carry your phone. If you are fine with step counting, you can use the Watch by itself.

TxWatch