Countless issues with 2010 MBP on Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youse123, Jun 2, 2012.

1. youse123 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have countless problems on my 2010 MBP running Lion 10.7.4. I have replaced the logic board through Apple (or at least I hope they did) a couple of months ago, but the issues keep reappearing and new issues have come through.

A list of my issues:
    1) Kernel panics once every week at random
    2) System fails to wake up from sleep
    3) When display is put to sleep but still turned on, I cannot turn the display on, and hence need to force shutdown it
    4) Screensaver randomly pops up every 5-10 minutes, thereby entering password and very irritating
    5) Does not detect my external display some of the times
    6) YouTube and other flash media cause system to kernel panic
    7) The computer also corrupts my external media with no third party drivers installed

and the list could go longer than this. I would rather not waste my time with apple as to get my logic board replaced the first time, I had to drive to their store three times before they could repair it.

What could I do to abolish all these problems? Again, these issues all appeared on Lion, and I wish I could go back to snow leopard but most new software requires lion.

Thanks for the help.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

3. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Which new programs require Lion? Snow Leopard and the MacBook Pro 2010 were made for each other. Go back to 10.6.8 and wait for 10.8 before upgrading. Shouldn't be more than a month or two...

If you're still suffering from these issues in 10.6.8 then a hardware problem may be what you're looking at.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That sounds more like a hardware issue than it does Lion.

5. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Ergo:

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I run Lion on our 2010 MBPs and it's fine. It's all fresh install with TM restore.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So what's your point? I was agreeing with you. :confused:

8. flatfoot macrumors 65816

I know. Just wanted to point out the relationship between out statements and make clear that there's nothing more to be said. :)

9. youse123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Running Windows 8 on my MBP and I have no problems what so ever.
    I know this is not a HDD fault but would reinstalling Lion help?

10. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

It could be that the OS X is tapping into some busted hardware that Windows is not utilizing.

I think it is a good next step for troubleshooting. If you maintain a Time Machine backup, do a backup before reinstalling Lion. After reinstalling Lion from scratch, test the machine to see if it works okay.

If it does work okay at first, then restore from your backup, and if the problems start happening again, you'll know it is software and not hardware.

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Do you still have AppleCare? If not, and your last replacement is still under warranty, I would take it back to Apple as soon as possible to make sure it's still covered.

If you have time, you could try a reinstall of Lion. I would do a Time Machine backup THEN (if you want to mess with this) back up your files manually. Such as move your Music, Movies, Documents, etc. folder to an external. This way, just in case there's a glitch in a library or some weird folder or something you can try to keep this off your new drive.

It's a lot more of a hassle and you HAVE to make sure you back up everything.

Honestly, not sure if this will help, I've always reinstalled an OS this way, mainly so I can have 2 backups in case Time Machine goofed. OS X might not even care if there's a glitch in a library or something.

12. youse123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have installed Lion on an external HDD and have transferred my iTunes Library and my Dropbox files, installed iWork and iLife, and only some of the issues still persists. I am still seeing loss of video from the graphics card when booting from sleep, and external display keeps cutting off.

I still have AppleCare. Should I keep my logs from the Console on a USB drive and give them to the Genius Bar if I put my new Lion inside my MBP? The logs show parse errors and faulting CPU logs, along with a long list of kernel panics. These are not shown on the new install.

13. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I would just leave that hard drive with the logs in the Mac and take it to Apple. If you're still having the issues when booting from the external it's a hardware problem. Swapping out HDDs then taking it in might clear out some of the problems or mask them and make it more difficult to get it repaired.

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

Do a fresh installation. 10.7.4 is working great now on my 2010 15" MBP. It's the first Lion release that has not make me want to go to Snow Leopard ( and I have been really hating on Lion till 10.7.4 :p ). It's not 100% perfect, but it's running without major bugs for me.

15. youse123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have installed a fresh copy on an external HDD, and I am still getting errors, particularly when its connected to an external display. Even when I wake it from sleep without the display, it goes to a black screen. I know that the computer is on because when I press random buttons, error sound beeps.

I can easily replicate the error at any time, so I will show them in front of their faces. Ill take the other HDD in an enclosure and Ill show them there.

16. youse123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kernel Panic Log

Attached is the log file from my kernel panic, one week after re-imaging.

Does anybody know the causes of the kernel panics from the log?

Attached Files: