Couple Digital Audio questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by indierthanthou, Nov 14, 2007.

1. indierthanthou macrumors member

I thought I would make my first post a couple of quite possibly stupid questions.

A friend just gave me a 733mhz Digital Audio Power Mac, 60gb, 640mb RAM, dual monitors.
    1. When I try to run a few programs, such as the openoffice.org installer and microshaft messenger, the computer makes a loud clicking noise, the last time I heard a computer make this noise was when I had an old Dell laptop with a dying hard drive. It ONLY does this when I try to run a few certain programs. What is the noise, and how can I fix it?

EDIT: I just installed 10.4.11 and it makes it on startup, and made the noise when softwareupdate installed the os update. I am beginning to think its less something wrong with the hard drive, and more the processor not being able to handle the load.

2. Here is the real stupid one. I have an old windows computer that has since been disassembled, I still have the 40gb hard drive from it, is it possible to install it into the power mac and reformat it? If it is possible, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks alot!
    -S

2. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

Now when I try to run Photoshop CS, it makes the noise and crashes.

What the heck is goin on here?!

3. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

Itunes crashes too. If it helps, i was given the computer with a fresh install of tiger. Could SOMEONE please help me with this?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe a fan problem, it might not be spinning right then overheating.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

the question about putting your other hard drive in, yes it will work. install it(make sure it's set to slave first) and format it. there are programs out there taht will clone your existing hdd. then remove them both and set your cloned hdd to master and start the mac up.

6. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

I meant can I install the windows hdd in addition to the current mac one? Also, how do I format it? just go to disk utility? I do not have the osx install disc, and the guy I got the computer from lives almost an hour away and is really hard to get ahold of. Could the hard drive be the problem with the programs crashing?

7. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

I think I figured it out. I had to clone the HDD from the other computer he gave me (450mhz g4 powermac) that I am giving to a friend. I cloned the 450 PM onto the old windoze hdd, then installed it as master and the original as slave onto the 733. now it's time for bed, its 345 AM and I need to be up at 10. Tomorrow I am going to try to clone the cloned 40gb onto the 60gb and test it out and see if it still acts up. I'll keep you posted.

8. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

If anyone is interested, I got it all figured out and taken care of. Had to have been a bad install of OSX. But I partitioned the 40gb hdd as 10gb is a clone of what I currently have on the pmac, just for something to boot from if the 60gb does go up in smoke, so I have something to restore from, and the other 30gb is basically just a place to save stuff.

9. ronss macrumors member

i was going to say if your rig boots with the pc hard drive, and does not make the noise anymore,,then you know its the hard drive that came with digital audio...

it sort of sounded like a hard drive problem....hard drives will make that sound if they are having some sort of problem,,,or before failing... i would probably not use that hard drive if the noise stopped with the pc hard drive.