Couple iCamera questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sufievan, Dec 19, 2007.

1. sufievan macrumors newbie

to use the cam on my computer to talk and see other people do i have to be using ichat or can i use it in the messenger for mac like a normal web cam and if so how do i use it or can i use ichat but see someone on a different webcam . so pretty much my question is can i use my icam (w/e its called)in messenger on mac or is there only a certain way i can use it. i dunno this might be confusing but all help is appreciated.

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

microsoft have chosen not to include webcam or mic support with msn for macs.

I think aMSN/Mercury Messenger have some limited support for webcam.

afaik Skype and iChat handle it best.

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

:eek:!

You might want to consider breaking that up a little bit.

The gist of what you are saying appears to be that you want to know what you need to do to use the iSight (that's its name) for video chats.

Well, iChat is certainly one option, however, i have only ever seen it possible with fellow Mac owners, running iChat. As of right now, there are not too many chat apps out there that support video (which I find really weird since most Macs have webcams now), and Messenger:Mac is one of those that does not. Adium 2.0 is supposed to have full video and audio chat support, but I do now know when that will be released.

4. Saul macrumors newbie

ooVoo is a great video-chat software

Hey guys, I am actually here as a representative of ooVoo. ooVoo is a really great, free video-chat software. They have recently released a Mac version which you can access here http:eek:ovoomac.smnr.us This program allows you to chat with up to 6 people and has great sound quality. If anyone has any questions please let me know and I would be more then happy to help you out.

5. kutoro macrumors newbie

Failed to login

hai Saul, my friend downloaded and installed Oovoo in his Mac successfully and working fine with the WiFi internet connection from his office. But, while he is using Broadband Wireless (dial up using EVDO modem), he even can not login from his Oovoo client to start video conference. the Signing-In indicator of Oovoo client is not even appears.
    what is the "things" block it anyway?

thx
    KTO

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Skype has Video and Voice support!!
    And it works as a IP phone.

Maybe you can try Skype?

7. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

You can use the instant messenger 'adium'.

Works with the camera anyway but not sure about sound.

8. Apple Architect macrumors regular

msn messenger client with video support

You might want to try aMSN (http://www.amsn-project.net/). Very good implementation on the Mac with full support for video.

It does not however provide you sound, so you would be limited to video.

For a much better experience you might want to try Skype. Audio is good and the video quality is much better.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Video but NO SOUND!!
    Er.... Umm.. "Sounds" great! :rolleyes:

10. Puzzling macrumors newbie

Photo booth filters / icam web use

Hi there,

I am wondering if the software that works in Photo Booth can be applied to the way the icam streams your image over the net.

That is, the filters which make you look more annonymous for example can be used with the icam when on video chats ?

Would be nice is some one is working on this idea.:D

excuse this is not for a notebook, I just realised, that the topic was in note book, I did a search on icam....
    I'm using G5 1.9 GHz 2.5 GB DDR2 sDRAm

11. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Leopard's iChat supports this. I tried it on my 2.0GHz Dual Core G5 and it choked.

Yes, iSight effects are available in iChat already. Just upgrade to Leopard. Actually, wait till monday to see when Snow Leopard will be shipping.