Couple of concerns.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sotorious, Apr 18, 2011.

1. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I am thinking of making a switch over to iphone for a year or so. I am just trying to gett my facts straight and just iron out some creases.

I am coming from android, and I am also going to be leaving T-Mobile, headed over to Verizon probably. Thinking about buying a used ip4 and staying off contract, so i can jump to whatever provider and have whatever phone i want that point and time, ANYWAY.

Google contacts, will i be able to easily port my google contacts from my gmail to the phone and back from the phone to gmail. As with android it does it it self.

Also i hear that you cant set ringtones that you want? or something like that? If someone can better explain, i know or i hear there is an app that lets you do that. I was just wondering if i can have a notification sound separate, and a ringtone separate.

Also why do people complain that the notification system is bad?

Right now thats the 2 main things i can think of and i will add as i remember because i know there is more.

2. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Isn't T-mobile = Verizon now? Or after the purchase is complete at least. Not sure I would move till that's more nailed down (in terms of contracts porting and all).

Contacts should port. They're stored on Google, so you can sync it up with the iphone (that's how I have mine).

Ringtones, set to whatever you want. No problem there, you just need to make them. Search for it on the net. Notification tones, you have the set on the iphone, that's it. No custom ones unless you jailbreak.

Notification system. People complain because it IS bad. What more do you need to know?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't get the cmda ip4 if you wantto chop and change you will be better off with a gsm ip4.

Google contacts sync.

You can't pick any track on your ip for a ringtone like a nokia for example you have to either make the ringtone or download it from iTunes. I have 1000's of ringtones and contacts with there own tone assigned. Just need to make a little effort.

The notifications system is a bit of a pain. It jumps in when your busy asking for a response and it's a pain.

4. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile is not Verizon if anything its going to be T-Mobile will be AT&T, as for the notification tones, i would have to jailbreak in order to set separate tones? Also can you elaborate more on why its bad? because you have to go searching for the icons and look for a little red number on top of them? and they are all not in 1 section? or is it something more than that?

Also since we are sort of on the subject of jailbreaking, would i be able to add google maps with free navigation on a jailbroken iphone?

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

All you need to know

6. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Ah, AT&T, got them confused, thanks.

For the notification tones, they're locked down in iOS. You only have the system ones. When you jailbreak, there's apps out there than can replace them with custom tones you make.

For notifications, supposedly it's why they hired a Palm guy (to redo the notification system). There's jailbreaks out there that fix some of it too, but don't know how well they work. Some examples of issues: It pops up a message and interrupts anything you're in. Every single time you get a message. If you don't check them, newer notifications replace previous ones and you lose previous (so you have to go searching the apps for the red badge (unless they don't use it). There's no list of notifications.

Re. google maps, not really sure. I don't think so since it is an application on Android. I don't think they've made one for the iPhone.

7. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol and your link didn't work properly. Also what would be the point of a forum, also to inform and elaborate on the question or information.

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

DOH! I was only joking :)

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

As far as your Google contacts go, when you first set up your phone, set up your google account as an Exchange account. You'll be able to sync your mail, contacts, and even your calendars.

10. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beautiful. Since i am going to be probably buying it used, does anyone also know how the warranty will work? Will i still be able to go threw apple and replace it if their is a problem?

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Google contacts:
    You basically set up an Exchange server, but you set it to use Google as the main point. When setting it up you tell it to sync contact, calendar, etc. At that point in time, your contacts will sync back and forth with google.
    Steps for Google Contacts

As for tones, I'm not sure if you specified which ones.
    Ringtones: you can make as many as you want and put them on the iphone. You can set the individually or globally. They're easy as pie to create and use.

Text tones: By default, you're stuck using the default iOS ones. You can, however, jailbreak the phone and make customized text tones if you wish.

Notifications: Most people complain about this. But I'm not one. I don't have a need for all my notifications to be under one "roof" so to speak. But you'll learn, that like everything else in this world, its all up for debate as its merely opinion and based solely upon individual tastes.
    The notification pop ups, tones, etc. are fine for me.

12. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so at least when you get a message from facebook, email, etc you will get a popup along with the little number in the corner of the icon. Am i correct to this?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pop up and little icon with a number on the Facebook icon for example.

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Something like this will pop up and overlay whatever you are doing from what I remember:
    [​IMG]

15. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Just get the MapQuest 4 Mobile app. It has talking turn by turn, etc. It works really well.

16. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok sweet, Yea looking for a deal right now and surfing threw verizons plans.

17. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

As for notifications, you can always use PushMail. Since I only get 200 texts for $5.00, I use this app and it is just as fast as a text. The app can also be customized to "ignore" certain emails or add a variety of ringtones to your emails. Hope this is helpful.

18. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, and thanks everyone all of your answers have helped me. Only thing i am trying to verify is that if i do buy a phone off of someone if apple will still replace it if something is wrong with it.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, as long as its still under the 1 year warranty from its original purchase date.
    You can find out below by entering the serial number:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

20. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also we established that we can only choose notification sounds only from what apple gives you for sounds, however can i put notification sound for email, and a seprate sound for text message? or once you choose a sound its for all notifications?