iPad mini Couple of iPad Mini Questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d4zza, Nov 4, 2012.

1. d4zza macrumors member

Ok, I'm going to apologise in advance for probably asking two simple questions that've probably been answered many times over the last few days, but there's just so many comments it's hard to ascertain the info I'm looking for exactly, including... the screen!

1. I've been reading conflicting reports (based on reviews on other websites, not quoted specs) surrounding GPS on the wi-fi only version. My question is that I use the TomTom app on my iPhone, but would love to use it on an iPad Mini instead. (Loved that thread about the iPad Mini car install, who wouldn't want that??). Therefore, would I be able to install TomTom to a wi-fi only Mini and it would work, either tethered or untethered to my iPhone?

2. The screen! Is the reading quality any worse than the iPad 2? I have a mate who has one, and I regularly use it when I'm in his company for web browsing and have never considered it bad, and it has never hurt my eyes after sustained periods of use. I've not been exposed to a Retina display, so maybe that's a good thing?

I'm sure these questions are easier to answer for those of you who have owned one for a few days now, therefore, it's your experience I'm particularly interested in.

Thanks in advance, and again, apologies for asking questions that many have already commented on, just looking for a bit more precise info before splashing out more cash than other brands are selling for.

2. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I think the screen is better than the iPad 2. I went through over a dozen of those in 2011 before giving up. My mini doesn't have any backlight issues, and the resolution is a touch higher. Colors and contrast are also excellent. YMMV

I'm not sure about the GPS question, but for it to work with wifi only you will definitely need all of your maps cached.

3. scupking macrumors 6502a

4. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

You will get a GPS read only if you are logged into a wifi connection. Otherwise none at all.

Wifi geoloc will be approx but ok.

I'm personally getting an LTE version mostly to support GPS. On my iPad 3 GPS works even if you don't have the cellar option enabled. Worked in England and France on a cached map. Little blue dot followed us everywhere. Better work the same on the mini or it goes back.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The screen will be a step up from the iPad 2. I could be wrong but I really don't think that there is a GPS chip in the wifi only mini, so I wouldn't expect it to work unless it on a wifi network, which it wouldn't be in a car.

6. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I tried this briefly yesterday on my way home tethered to my iPhone. I tried routing to. My house and it did know approximately where we were and gave directions, but it didn't do the cool zoom in flyover to follow your position on the map.

7. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

I have no complaints about the screen so far, it's very nice.

8. d4zza thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the screen replies so far folks. I'm happy enough to buy one based on that info and not just sit and hope for a Retina version next year. If they release one, I'll just update.

So only thing left is to find out if TomTom app will work on wi-fi only. I think the TomTom app doesn't require internet as it has all the map loaded when you actually install the app, but not sure.

----------

Was that with the Apple Maps app, or a third party sat nav app?

9. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

That was with Apple Maps. I can try it with Motion X....

10. d4zza thread starter macrumors member

Would be good to find out as it's the difference of paying £269 and £369. Not sure I want to pay £100 just for GPS. I don't need the 3G capability as I've already got it on my iPhone.

11. Royalcards macrumors newbie

i can only answer for question 2.

if you normally browse the whole webpage in portrait, it is easier to read in ipad2 because it has bigger text unlike the ipad mini which is scaled down so it has smaller text. add to that it doesnt have retina makes the text fuzzy and blurry it will really strain your eyes.

if you double tap and zoom a bit, it becomes comfortable and reading is much easier than ipad 2. reading in lanscape is also better than ipad 2.

overall dont try read the whole webpage when you are in portrait mode in ipad mini. it is not advisable and will let your eyes feel tired.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If one of your primary uses is GPS, buy the one with it built in. Every other option, including a Bluetooth GPS is going to be a comparatively poor experience.

13. M87 macrumors 65816

Text looks noticeably worse and as always there is no GPS on Wi-Fi models. It sounds like perhaps the google Nexus 7 would fit you better, it has a higher res display and GPS. Personally, I'm returning the mini. The form factor is great, but some of the trade offs definitely aren't. As big and bulky as the retina iPad might be, it also looks and feels like a much nicer product. Having used the the retina since it was released and the mini for a few days, I think the best hope is for the full-sized retina iPad to adopt the mini's case design.

14. d4zza thread starter macrumors member

Fortunately, it isn't the primary use, it's just part of the decision making process. There is no single feature or use that is going to make or break my decision.

Just on the Bluetooth GPS thing, what exactly is that, and how can it be used in a wi-fi only iPad Mini?

----------

In my situation, I'm thinking of it as a positive that I haven't used a Retina iPad, I have used the iPad 2, so that's what I'm comparing it to. As long as it's at least equal too the iPad 2, which others seem to have confirmed, then I'm happy enough with that part.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There are external GPS devices that can connect via Bluetooth. They cost about $100 though, have to be paired, and obviously have to be recharged. Unless you need the specific features they offer, it's way better to go with the built in one.

16. guitardave62000 macrumors regular

If you want to utilize GPS in a iPad mini you'll need to get the cellular version. You do not need to sign up for a data plan, but only the cellular version contains the GPS chip. Because the Tom Tom app stores the maps locally, this is all you need.

Like others have mentioned there are options connecting the wifi only model to a GPS through Bluetooth. But for about the same price you can upgrade you iPad mini to the cellular version.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Some people don't listen.