Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
1. What is the ipad like for blogging, posting on message boards etc - this is my main internet activity

2. new iPad 2 vs second hand iPad 1 - for the first time user on a budget. I'm prepared to go for the iPad 2 but I can't see that it's a major imporovement over the ipad 1 for the things i'd use it for (internet, music, bit of video)

I'm looking to replace my aging (but still perfectly good!) iBook G4. Thanks for your help!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I figured it would be easy with the big screen, but I was damn surprised at how easy to type on the iPad was when I first got it. There's almost no getting used to it factor, it just - is. I don't think you'd have any problems if you are decent on a physical keyboard.

It seems you will be using the iPad for a bit of everything, so 2 is probably the way to go because of the increased speed and RAM.

chrisk1250

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Definitely go with the iPad 2. If web browsing is one of your main tasks, iPad 2 will be best. I feel like the extra RAM will go a long way. It does get annoying when I have several tabs open and they have to reload when I click on them.

Also, I understand you're on a budget, but when buying technology, it's usually best to get what's the most current. A 2X gain in CPU and 9X gain in graphics is nothing to sneeze at. From now on we are going to see dual-cores in everything. You don't want to get left out of updates because your hardware isn't good enough. Buyer's remorse sucks.

When it comes down to it, it's another $100. For a device that you could be using every day for a long long time (as evidenced by your iBook), why not? You get what you pay for and given the current crop of tablets out there, iPad 2 holds the best value by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.