Couple of Jailbreaking questions?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Rennir, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Rennir macrumors 6502

Ok so I'm thinking about JBing in order to get SBsettings and BiteSMS (nothing else, because I don't want to risk battery life/response speed installing bad apps). So I just have a couple questions.

1) It's my impression that every time I plug my iPhone 4S into the computer and iTunes opens, it automatically backs up my phone? So how would I save the pre-JB backup, making sure that it doesn't get overwritten when I plug my jailbroken 4S into the computer?

2) After I JB, is my game data still the same?

3) Do JB devices work with iCloud? Can I backup my jailbroken iPhone 4S via iCloud? Also, if I restore and choose to restore from my iCloud backup, would that backup include the JB or is it just game/app data?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions! :)

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

1. It will ignore them as long as your phone is j/b

2. yes

3. not sure, I don't use Icloud

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. Rennir thread starter macrumors 6502

5. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

1- you can change the backup option in iTunes. Backing up is only for contacts apps and pictures and messages. Nothing about the jailbreak will be saved.

2-yes

3-yes. No as,e answer as #1 only official apple data is backed up.

6. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Actually a few things about the jailbreak get saved, such as the db meter settings that you can turn on via sbsettings will be retained if restored to a non jailbroken phone. It's hit or miss what will be included, but some settings to some tweaks may end up saved. Very few things aside from the db meter would actually affect a non jailbroken phone but may just be present (and invisible) on a restored nonJB phone.

As to saving your nonJB backup, just make a copy out of the itunes backups folder and store it somewhere else.

7. Rennir thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you elaborate on what db settings is?

8. Rennir thread starter macrumors 6502

One last question: if/when the 5.1 jailbreak comes out, will Cydia keep track of the apps that I paid for, so I don't have to pay for it twice?

9. lissa5168 macrumors newbie

Yes. If you use the same sign-in.