Couple of mac pro questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by juliancs, Jan 26, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

So in an earlier thread I said how I bid on this, then lost it. I may have a chance at it again. The thing is, I know there are new mac pro's coming out soon, but I can't afford a new one. I am an aspiring game composer and work in Logic 9, using a lot of eastwest/software instruments/dsp's. Will these specs suffice for this?

One 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor
    6GB (3x2GB) memory
    640GB hard drive
    1TB hard drive 1

Obviously I will upgrade the RAM and HD's in time. I'm just wondering if the processor will last me a long time. It seems people are still using Mac pro 1,1's to great effect so I'm thinking I will be? The guy has 3 months of the one year warranty left on it - can i then go and purchase applecare for it?

Many thanks,

Julian

2. snouter macrumors 6502a

The 2.93 won't seem slow for quite some time... however, there are still benefits to waiting...

When the new models come out, there will be a couple of months when you can still find the previous models and they are usually discounted.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It seems like a good deal for what you will be using it for.

Being the single processor model makes the CPU easier to upgrade, but the RAM options are more limited (4 as opposed to 8).

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you should wait until the new mac releases, because the prices on old ones will drop down .