Couple of Macbook questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TyShawn, Nov 14, 2015.

1. TyShawn macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I have a Macbook MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009) with a Intel core 2 duo and 4 GB of ram. I am looking at either selling this unit then replacing it with a newer MBP (used) or fixing the following issues.

1. replacing the battery
    The current battery is done and holds charge for about 20 minutes. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction on a replacement battery.

2. Swapping out the hard drive to a SSD
    If anyone has done this on a laptop this old was it worth the upgrade?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Get the battery from a reputable seller like ifixit if you want to save $$$

As for an ssd swap it's like night and day. Also doubling the ram will sweeten things up.

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

For this laptop, I got quoted EUR. 120 (about US$ 130) for a battery replacement. Assuming your harddrive will be replaced with a 250 GGB SSD from Samsung, you're looking at US$ 90. Two 4 GB memory sticks is about 60 bucks. If you don't replace these yourself, but let a computershop replace them, I guess it'll be about US$ 90 repair costs.

It all kinda adds up. Maybe you could eke about three years out of it.

But since these machines still have some resale value, sell it and use it for getting the latest MacBook Air. I think you're much better off on the long run.

However if you're on a budget and really can't spend much, I'd first replace the SSD. Then you can decide between the memory or the battery.