Couple of problems with 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshelton, Jul 31, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

The battery life on this phone is terrible. I have had it for a month and I have yet to make it 1 full day on a charge. I have tried everything; turning WIFI off when not in use, turning 3G off when not available; checking mail every hour or manually, turning location services off, turning all push notifications off. It still sucks.

The second thing just happened a few minutes ago. I had the phone on vibrate. I picked it up to move it and realized someone was calling. I pressed the Home button but nothing would turn on. The screen stayed off but the phone was vibrating. :eek: What could be causing that???

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would contact apple for either problem and given the fact you have both issues, I'd definitely go back to them for a repair/replacement.

My 3GS does last all day though its difficult to fathom the actual battery life on mine because I typically plug it into the computer during the day.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Can't help with #2. And really can't help with #1 seeing as you've given us no stats to determine your usage. Have you calibrated your battery? How are you using your phone? How many hours of actual usage and standby are you getting?

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the battery life on my phone is also dismal (16GB 3GS white).

What is even more puzzling is that the battery life varies a lot and I can't see a pattern.

My feeling after more than a month is the I have between 1-3 days standby time and between 2 and 6hrs of use. But it's entirely unpredictable.

Sometimes I do not use it after leaving work at all and next day in the morning (thats 16 hrs) I have ~30% charge left. It seems somethhing is running in the background using up the battery (GPS, Wifi, Compass whatever).

I usually leave my phone on the cahrger while I'm in my office all day and on the carcharger while driving.

I have the feeling that when I'm home the battery life is better. That makes me believe that the phones battery life depends on the wifi and 3G reception. Maybe if they are good than the phone doesn't waste battery searching for signal.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

That's exactly why - esp the 3G part