Couple of question about my new MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishmoose, Jul 17, 2011.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Got my new MBP this Friday and I love it! I have two questions though!

1.) Is it perfectly safe to use gfxCardStatus to tell the computer to use the Integrated card? Twitter for Mac and NetNewsWire want to use the discrete AMD card and I want to have these two apps running all the time which would make my system always use the AMD card. Should I tell it to use the Intel integrated card or do I not need to care about this?

2.) I will quite often hookup my MBP to my TV, I then keep the computer on the living room table. With my 13" I lowered the screen down to about half so I could reach the spacebar to pause the movie or show but still not having the screen being in the way of the TV-screen. Is is all right to have the screen in this position or will it put the hinges under more stress than intended?

Thanks for reading, appreciate any input!

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

No problem! :D

Lol but for the second question, you'll be putting more stress on the hinges... if you only do this for a little bit of time here and there, I don't think it will be too bad, however they weren't made to hold the screen in that position for long periods of time so you might have some problems down the road with a loose hinge.

You could always just turn the brightness all the way down and turn off the backlight on the laptop screen.

3. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

It's not the light that's in the way, its the screen itself. But I'll just move the MBP until it doesn't bother me instead of risking any damage.

4. MrViking macrumors member

Use iPod/iPad as a remote, or get the apple remote. :)

5. fishmoose, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

What iPad apps are there to chose from? I use mostly QuickTime but sometimes I'll have to use VLC.

EDIT: I went ahead and bought rowmote pro so that solves that issue! Thanks for the help on that question.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Ah, ok. Well yea, if you can move it, move it. I'm sure you wouldn't see any problems with keeping it halfway closed, I just like to play it safe, just in case :)

7. MrViking macrumors member

You're welcome! =]

On your other question: Chances are really slim it will damage your system. I've read some people that have stability issues. If that happens just remove the app. I install a lot of addons and weird little apps, sometimes they work. Sometimes they make the computer slow or whatever. The hardware is pretty well protected against failure like overheating.

8. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess I'll just use gfxCardStatus to switch to Integrated when I'm on battery. If I notice anything odd I'll just uninstall it.

Seems to work fine so far though.

9. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

That's precisely what I do when I'm on battery alone. gfxCardStatus preferences allow you to set that up.

Dynamic on power and Intel only when on battery.

Twitter working well so far on Intel only :eek:)