Couple of questions about swapping drive on new WhiteBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by toontra, Apr 14, 2009.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

My new whitebook is on order and I'm getting ready for when it arrives. The plan is to swap out the hard drive from my old whitebook (late 2006), but I'm unsure on a couple of points. My current drive is a 250g SATA with a 170g boot partition and an 80g BootCamp partition. My questions are:

1) I believe the 09 WhiteBooks take SATA 2 drives - I presume my existing drive is SATA 1. Is this an issue?

2) Providing the existing drive is OK, will the current BootCamp partition function correctly in the new machine?

3) I assume that the Mac boot partition will need updating. Although it's Leopard it probably needs newer drivers for the Nvidia graphics, etc. Could I simply put the old drive in and then update from the Apple install/restore DVD that comes with the new machine, or do I need to get into cloning onto a backup drive, then using migration assistant, etc.

Based on the answer to these I may need more help :eek: Cheers for all advice.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In terms of hardware, you'll be fine.

In terms of software, you may run into BootCamp issues simply because the new laptop is running a totally different chipset and the drivers won't be present at boot.

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Windows is going to throw you a BIG BSOD. Becuase of the chipset changes. I tried to do the same and the video chipset BSOD and i had to reinstall.

4. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I was worried about that. In that case I may as well think about putting in a bigger drive, seeing as both partitions need a re-install. Any recommendations?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Either the WD Scorpio line, or Seagate Momentus.

Within the scorpio line, I believe "black" is the high end, and "blue" is a nice middle of the road drive for sure.

6. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the likelihood that the imminent release of OSX 10.5.7 will unify all Macbooks? That way I could simply update by current drive (in the old MacBook) and clone that to the new Nvidia MacBook. Would be a lot simpler.