Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
I purchased my Mac Mini last Friday without a display. Thinking that I can use my Dell 19 inch Flat panel monitor. However I notice that the text isn't as clean and crisp as you would find on Apple LCD. Is anyone else having this problem? When I get the Apple 20 Cinema Display what some good settings for font size and icon size?

Also if I reformat my Mac Mini what will happen to my .Mac account?

Thanks

frozenapple

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2005
I think you need to take a closer look in comparison between the two monitors specifications, then, I think it would become clear.

What model is the Dell?

dm33186

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
i am using the 17 inch dell ultrasharp and its beautiful. make sure you are using the dvi connection if it has it and in display properities configure the colors.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Don't forget that a LCD monitor is sharpest at its native resolution. If it is native 1280x1024 and you are running the Mac monitors settings at 1024x768, the interpolation will make the image soft. Match the output to the monitor's native resolution.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Also remember that OSX ships with font smoothing set to "Best for CRT". If you change it to "Best for LCD" you might get better results.

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
Sony is Good

My Mac Mini looks unreal when used with a Sony SDM-HS74P Flat Panel via DVI.

(Hey, it's not Apple but you can't complain too much for £270) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.