couple of questions before I buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 46&2mr, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 46&2mr macrumors newbie

I am looking at my first :apple:

I am going w/ 13 inch 2011 model because my current work laptop took a dump on me and its time for a replacement. I do not want to spend over 1500 on replacement so I have been shopping around.

1st question. I found the feb 2011 model of the 13inch i7 2.7 w/ 500 gig hdd shipped to my door for $1350. I found this at "macmall" is this a good reputable vendor?

2nd question. I found an oct 2011 model refurb 13inch i7 2.8 w/ 750 gig hdd shipped to my door for 1357. This is a refurb model so im worried about scratches and being banged up. Im just wondering if this a better deal then the brand new early model listed above.

I dont need the extra 250 gig hdd but it never hurts. W/ only 7 dollars difference in the two its makes it tuff. Just trying to figure out if the 2.8 i7 is that much of an upgrade as I would normal lean towards brand new vs refurb when its this close in price but if the later is just a great deal and I would be stupid not to jump on it I would hope someone would tell me so and why.

Anyways thats it guys. More so which would you buy and why? :cool:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. Some say it is, though I've also heard horror stories. But that goes with any online shop at all, so I wouldn't count on a vocal minority.

A simple google search for "macmall.com review" brought this up, maybe you should read it: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/MacMall

2. If it's refurbished off of the Apple website, they put in a new battery, check the case for blemishes, etc. It's just as good as new, and even if it somehow isn't, it still carries the 14-day return window, and a full 1 year warranty.

Whether the 2.8Ghz i7 is useful to you or not is impossible to say, as you didn't mention anywhere in your post what you intend to do with the computer.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I personally would go with the refurb - It should be in perfect condition - If it is not return it and demand a replacement that is :)

4. tarponbeach macrumors member

I recently purchased my 13" MacBook from MacMall. Service was excellent. Ordered about 2 pm EST, and it was in my hands the next day by 3 pm.

If you do buy from them, go to Appleinsider, and click on MacMall's ad...you will save a few bucks by entering from Appleinsider ($35.00 in my case)

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If the refurb is from Apple, go for that one!

6. 46&2mr thread starter macrumors newbie

7. skier777 macrumors 6502

Are you a student? With student discount, the 13inch is only 1399 new. Still within your budget.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Got a microcenter nearby?

For $1599 (not including tax), you can get a 2.3 i7 15" high res anti-glare.

9. 46&2mr, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

46&2mr thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not but my sister in law is.. I didnt think of that.. Not bad at all.

----------

What is a microcenter (as in a apple store) Im sure we do ( live in orlando FL)

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Oh nvm, FL doesn't have any microcenters. Closest is in GA.