Couple of questions re iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Venkman90, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Venkman90 macrumors regular

Considering picking up a 2 soon (knowing they can be re-sold when I want a 3 for decent money is a comfort!) and I was wondering:

1. Pages / iWorks, can I save files to the ipad? is there a folder for that? I note it has no Docs folder or the like...

2. I assume once I get the 3 I can transfer game save files from the 2 using iPhone explorer? I would hate to lose Infinity Blade unlocks etc...

Thanks

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

1. Yes, no problem.

2. Can't help you on this one.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

1. Yes you can put your documents into different folders just like how you put the Apps into folder :) Simple!

2. Basically if you backup your iPad 2 and restore to another iPad, everything will be the same such as Apps icon arrangement, Apps data and settings etc Yes, exactly the same. That's why I love iOS devices, I don't need to worry about anything when I upgrade or fix my iPhone or iPad. :D Just restore from backups ;)

P.S. You don't need iPhone Explorer, I don't even know what it is :confused:

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. iDisk account, DropBox, or EMail docs to yourself.

2. I don't about that... Infinity Blade posts a guide, about backing up current device, and restoring it to new device to transfer saves.

5. Venkman90 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, the file thing, I do have Dropbox but wanted to know I could save them to the iPad's internal storage if I don't have wifi to hand, sounds like I can?

As for the save game, I know backup / restore works 90% of the time but with some apps it doesn't and it can fail. I think copying the .bin file using explorer does work but I wanted to check.

6. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

yes you can store files on the iPad, just realize that they are app specific. so if you store a Pages document on the iPad it will be in the Pages app. same would go for a Numbers or Keynote document.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

1. If you have an app that supports USB transfer to the iPad (as all the iWork apps do) you can drag and drop files to and from the iPad.

In the Apps pane of your iPad's summary page in iTunes, underneath the main syncing section will be a window showing all your current USB-transfer apps.

Simply select Pages and you're given the interface to add files. Remember once the files are there you'll need to tell Pages to get them by selecting "Import from iTunes" in the Pages app on the iPad.

The reverse is also true, when you're finished with a document, export it to iTunes on the iPad and it will show up in this same window when you plug the iPad into your computer.

This will all be moot once iCloud and iOS 5 arrive as it can all be done wirelessly without any effort however it's good to remember for when WiFi is not an option.

2. All app data is backed up so simply restore your new iPad from the backup of your old one. The new one will be exactly like the old but with all the new features.

8. Venkman90 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again, question answered, this forum is great for justifying purchases of shiny things :D