Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Hi,

I ordered a custom built iMac from the apple store recently, to be delivered to the UK and well, I wouldn't mind some more information on how these things usually pan out, as Apple seems to provide little info.

I ordered the mac on the 22nd Jan, it shipped on the 26th, and the estimated arrival date is the 7th of Feb. Does 17 days seem about right from order to delivery? I've also not yet been provided with a carrier name or number, so i'm unable to track it. Can I expect these at some point?

Also, an unrelated question, but i'm going to take this opertunity of a new computer to rerip my music catalogue and just wondered what settings you would advise, MP3/AAC? 128/256? Size won't be an issue on the iMac, but I plan to get an 8gb iPhone as well, and so fitting more tunes on there would be an advantage.

So, discussion and tips/advice are welcome, cheers!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, after a quick google I found that site, entered my code from Apple but the site didn't seem to work, providing no information at all.

deniser

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cornwall, England
Right then try TNT site. I found when I had mine delivered last Sept I could not track it on there either, but found it was shipped with TNT, if I remember correctly TNT taker over when it gets to the european hub. Let me know if you manage to track it

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
As far as ripping goes, I would do aac. It is a higher quality to size ratio than mp3, ie, 128 kbps in aac will sound better than 128 kbps of mp3. I generally go into preferences and move the quality up a little to 160 or 192, more because I want a more accurate copy in case I lose the original than because I can hear a difference on my home or car speakers.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Right then try TNT site. I found when I had mine delivered last Sept I could not track it on there either, but found it was shipped with TNT, if I remember correctly TNT taker over when it gets to the european hub. Let me know if you manage to track it

Hmmm that might explain the lack of any tracking info. On the Apple Order tracking page it displays this -

Carrier Tracking Number
In transit to final destination - carrier details to be updated shortly
Assigned Carrier
In transit to final destination - carrier details to be updated shortly

I'm guessing this will update when the shipment arrives in Europe then? No idea how long that will take. Seems a bit strange that you can only track your order for the last leg of the journey.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Still no info.

No new tracking numbers, no mention of carriers. My iMac could be anywhere in the world right now :(

Still a 7th of Feb estimated delivery.

I don't mind the wait I jsut wish there was some assurance of where my shipment is at this time. I've been given various PO numbers, order numbers and an apple tracking number (begins with 80) but none of them provide me with any real information.

:(

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Ok, i know how much you guys love to hear from me :p

I gave apple an hour ago and was told that my order was on track for the 6th of Feb (not the 7th) and that I would be provided with a carrier name and number when it arrived in europe.

I have just now logged into apple's order tracking and the order carrier number has updated, to the same number as the apple tracking number, and the carrier has been listed as "Uk Distribution centre", while completely uninformative, this does look like a good sign at least.

Most surprisingly though, my estimated date of arrival has changed to.... yesterday! 30th Jan 2008! Made me laugh, I think i'm going to give up tracking it and just wait it out!

Funny stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.