Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cruis3r, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Cruis3r macrumors newbie

-When you hold the power button on top plus the home button what does that do.

-And how do I tell if my ipod touch is a tiger leopard or something, I’m trying to update my safari so I can hopefully install adobe flash, and its asking me to pick one.

-Is there a way i can make my battery last longer? Is there a Certain way your suppose to charge your ipod touch? I mean i alrdy know about like turning down the light and the EQ and stuff like that, any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

2. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

- When you hold the Hold and Home buttons together for a long time it will hard reset the device (if it freezes etc)

- I have no idea what you are trying to do but - Your iPod Touch is not a tiger, or a leopard ;) Your mac may be running either tiger or leopard operating system. To check, providing you are running a mac, click the Apple icon (top left), go to About this Mac. If it says OS X 10.4.X you are running tiger, if it says 10.5.X you are running leopard.

- I'm crap with batteries, i charge them whenever, i don't keep things long enough for it to matter. I wouldn't concern yourslf with it, but somebody else might be able to advise.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Flash does not yet work on the iPod Touch. You can't update Safari to the Touch like you can on the Mac. If Safari get's an update for the touch, it becomes part of an iPod Touch firmware update.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

If you press the home button and sleep/power button on top at the same time it will take a screen shot of whatever you have displayed on your screen at that time and save it to your Pictures.

My biggest suggestion is completely closing out Safari when your done using it (hold down the home button for 7 seconds when its open). If you just close it our normally, it is still being used in memory. Especially if you have been roaming around on non-mobile sites, it will eat up your memory and battery fast.

5. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Really? There are no background running processes on these devices, what makes you say that?

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes some of the apps that come preloaded still do run in the background. Safari, Music Player, etc. You can't really utilize these while they are running in the background, with the exception of the music player, but they are still held in memory.

I downloaded the FreeMemory app to view how much memory I'm using. I went to a few websites that are heavy on javascript and client technologies and hit the home button. I checked how much memory I had left and it was around 20mb. I opened it back up Safari and did the full close and my memory shot up to around 40mb.

7. Cruis3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replys so far.

When I held the Sleep button with the Home button my ipod Touch Screen like turned white and froze, why did I even do that?
    Well while playing tap tap revenge I did something with the start menu trying to like turn on or off my music (idunno why I tried to do that in a middle of a game... but ) the screen was on the music song and Home button and the Power off button didn't work. So I started freaking out and trying to turn my ipod touch off or at least get to the home page which wasn’t happening... so I tried holding the 2 buttons together and something might happen then whoosh white screen, I somehow turned it off and got it back on to the normal way it was I don't know how. But if anyone could explain a bit of this to me that would be great, and sorry for the long post. -.-

As for the battery I was reading some forum and just want to confirm some things people say that after it charges and the battery icon changes from lighting to a electric plug its done And that if you unplug it then re-plug it on the charger again you can make your ipod battery live a bit longer?
    Another one is that even if the battery icon changes from lighting to the electric plug you should still leave it in for an extra hour or two and that extends the life time then just un-plugging it right after it changes to a electric plug?

Yea... I don't know you guys can say if these are true or not or give me some of your ideas and opinions.

Thanks Again.

8. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

When you press the sleep and home buttons together for about a second, the screen will flash white and a screenshot will be taken. This will save in the Photo app in a folder called Saved Photos.

If you press and hold the sleep and home buttons for around 10-15 seconds you are doing a force reboot of the touch. This will restart the touch and you will see the Apple logo appear and then the touch will go through its start up proceedure and you will eventually see your first page of apps.

If you are running any app, always press the home button to quit out of it. Previous posters are correct in saying some apps "stay" in the touch's RAM. Pressing and holding the home button for about 6-7 seconds will quit the current app and remove the app's memory usage completely. Personally, I very rarely hold the home button down for 6-7 seconds to quit. If I find my touch slowing down, I just restart it by pressing the sleep button until the red slider appears, swipe it to switch off and then start it again.

I've never heard about charging the touch fully and then re-plugging it in to try and charge it further. At least once a month let your touch completely drain its battery and then charge it completely until the plug icon appears. For further information see this Apple support document

9. Cruis3r thread starter macrumors newbie

quick side question, can a force reboot be bad for a ipod touch, can it do any harm it in any way.

10. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I've only had a to do it a few times on my touch mainly when using 3rd party Apps and its never had any side effects for me.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's designed to help fix problems, and I don't see why Apple would intentionally put in a feature that can harm the iPod.

12. Cruis3r thread starter macrumors newbie

well i was thinking it was kinda like reformatting a computer to much or something along that... idunno like you get a fresh new start again but it damages the hard drives

13. Cruis3r thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone know how to move screen shot picture from the itouch onto the computer, and also how to delete them?

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iPods, except the Classic, all run off SSDs (not the traditional definition of SSD, but flash-based memory in general).

Hold the home button and quickly press and then release the top power button. If you use a Mac, open iPhoto and import from the iPod (plug it in first). Delete them by going on the iPod, then Photos, then Saved Photos, tap on one, and tap the little trash bin icon.

Stop all this OCDish type of thing about your iPod touch. It's not a nuclear bomb, with one little mistake blowing up the entire device.

15. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

To get it onto your computer, sync your touch. A dialogue box will appear if you're using a PC asking you which programme you want to use to transfer the photo. On a Mac, iPhoto will open and ask you if you want to import it.

To delete, go to Photo app > Saved Photos and open the picture. Then tap the screen once and you will see a small trashcan icon appear in the bottom right of the screen. Tap the icon, you will then get a dialogue asking to confirm the deletion, confirm it and you will see an animation of the photo being put into the trashcan.

16. Aputech macrumors newbie

That's a really great post. Thank you for sharing!