couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by b348xyx, May 11, 2009.

1. b348xyx macrumors member

i am really wanting the mac pro 09 model at the moment... due to the 8 core / 16 with HT enabled

but i want to be able to play lastest games max settings still.... can i run a 295gtx with the 120gt which it comes with... use the 120gt with osx and 295gtx with windows 7 / vista??

thanks

Karl

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Do you plan on using it purely as a gaming rig? If you are, you'd be better off building a custom PC or buying an xbox or PS3.

3. b348xyx thread starter macrumors member

i will be using 3Dmax / maya and so on... and will be doing alot of video editing... also will be using for work.. so main reason i want the cpu power there... also will be running a couple of machines via vmware.... just want the Power to be able to games aswell...

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I believe it would work fine, but you would have to switch your monitor connection from one card to the other when changing OS. Just get the Mac version of the 285GTX (instead of a PC 295GTX) when it comes available and junk the GT120. Then you don't need to worry about switching your monitor connection between the two cards.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Or bother with a KVM switch, assuming the OP doesn't want to continually swap the cable around. ;)