Couple of Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Boe11, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Thinking of possibly getting the next generation iMac. Had a couple of questions.

1. With the (assumed) inclusion of Tbolt, will the current generation cinema displays work with future thunderbolt peripheral daisy chaining? I realize they use the same physical connection but I'm wondering if a mini displayport cinema display will work in the future if I end up getting some Tbolt mass storage and want to chain them together. (just to be clear I'm talking about a cinema display in addition to the iMac screen)

2. I have some wonderful logitech 5500 surround sound speakers that I'd love to hook up to an iMac. With the lack of optical and more than 1 audio input, are there any other options for surround sound speakers and an iMac? Just software emulation through a usb sound card?

Thanks for your time.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

2. What do you mean "lack of optical"?
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

3. Boe11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm used to using the SPDIF port that my speakers support.

Will this iMac port allow me to support surround sound?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't know.

According to this old thread it should, at least to a receiver (and maybe not to a set of stand alone speakers), but I've never actually tried it, I'm afraid... :)

5. Boe11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you sir. Based on that thread and some more digging, it looks like surround sound should work with a simple adapter cable.

Quick bump to see if anyone knows whether or not current cinema displays will work in future thunderbolt daisy chains.