Couple of RAM questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grampa Joe, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Grampa Joe macrumors member

I have an iMac G5 Rev. A. Want to increase Ram from 1 gig to 2 gig. Found this on Amazon. Can I use it? Do I wanna use it?

Kingston HyperX - Memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 184-pin - DDR - 400 MHz / PC3200 - CL2.5 - 2.6 V
    Other products by Kingston Technology
    More about this product
    List Price: $208.00
    Price: $185.95

2. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

While searching for RAM myself, I read some advice here on MR that I have stuck by.
    Buy the RAM from a place that:
    a) Guarantees Mac compatibility
    b) Has a lifetime replacement warranty

Those places would include www.datamem.com and www.macsales.com (OWC).

You didn't mention your screen size, but the price of a 1GB stick for the iMac 1.8GHz 17" is $79.

Here's the link:
    http://www.datamemorysystems.com/parts_that_fit_list.asp_Q_MF_E_Apple_A_M_E_iMac+G5+1%2E8GHz+17%22+%28M9249LL%2FA%29_A_C_E_

Good luck!

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not only is the HyperX memory not guaranteed by Kingston to be compatible with the iMac, it will break the sockets off the motherboard if you attempt to install them. The heatsinks are too thick.

You have the fussiest Mac in Macdom there - if the SPD settings are not written correctly the RAM will crash the machine: stick with a reputable vendor who knows Macs and guarantees compatibility with the iMac G5

And: You can get guaranteed compatible RAM less expensively than that.

In the USA: Data Memory Systems, OWC (MacSales) and Crucial are most often recommended here.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com