couple of Safari questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OrangeCuse44, Jul 6, 2007.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

1. How do you set safari so that when i click a link it opens the new page into a new tab and NOT a new window?

2. Is there a way to reset search history, cache, downloads, but NOT cookies and saved passwords? The safari reset, wipes out everything.

That's all i can think of for now.

2. defeated macrumors regular

1. an addon called safaristand can help, there is no automatic new tab function in safari (you will need to press cmd when clicking the link to open a new tab)
    2. safari 3 will have this option

Are you switching from firefox?

3. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

yeah i am. FF has just been freezing quite a bit and i always wanted to just use safari because its apple. when is the full safari 3 coming out? with leapard?

4. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

is there any plug in for safari for a FF like search when you press CMD + F? The FF search is designed really well.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also in Safari 3; otherwise, a number of plugins such as acidsearch. They're all available here:

http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/?c=Searching

6. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

should i just download the safari 3 beta? or just wait?

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Download it...its great :) One feature is missing though - I used to always 'Scale image to fit', but this is no longer an option. The find feature is incredible, and draggable tabs, 'Merge all windows', and reopening accidentally closed windows (I could already do some of this with SafariStand) are all worth the few minor bugs. It is also faster...

I also strongly recommend the awesome Inquisitor, and for the links thing (as already recommended) SafariStand...

In the SafariStand settings window, tick 'Open _blank in New Tab'

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*shrug* I am content with Safari 2. I use a few plugins -- Taboo, Inquisitor, and Safariblock. I'm pretty happy with that setup.

The full Safari should come out with Leopard. Typically it does not become available to versions of OS X preceding Leopard, although since it's a Win/Mac product now, that might change. Lots of people here are using Safari 3 beta, and it seems reasonably stable, although most of the interesting plugins don't work on it. It adds quite a few features that make FF users happy -- movable tabs, find as you type, some of the clear prefs you want, etc. The biggest contraindication is that, AFAIK, no ad blocker works right now.

You might try it; you can always apparently uninstall it (uninstaller is in the disk image).

9. defeated macrumors regular

safari 3 is not stable, and I feel uncomfortable recommending pre-alpha softwares (lol, apple calls it beta, which is, IMHO, untrue).

10. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

just downloaded the beta and the first thing i tried was the searching and man is it beautiful.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maybe you've had troubles, but most have not...
    Quick! Download Inquisitor! It compliments Safari so well, I can't browse without it...

12. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

even in my older version of safari i had inquisitor, i cant remember downloading but its been there. havent really used it ever. whats it good for?

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Are you sure its installed? Its how I browse...so much faster than Googling the name of a company etc. and then clicking the first link...
    [​IMG]

14. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

yeah i have it, just never used it. in searching for things like that, seems convenient. ill start making it a habit to use it. thanks.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you start digging the speed, and are into keyboard shortcuts, its :apple: +L to go to the address bar, then tab to get to Inquisitor :)

16. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

alright good stuff. is there a way to set Inquisitor so that the result opens in a new tab not the current tab?