Couple questions about buying used iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Feb 22, 2014.

1. bobright, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

bobright macrumors 601

Here's the deal a cousin of mine knows this lady from work who is selling her iPhone 5. She was with AT&T and I guess upgraded to a new Samsung phone so she's now selling the old iPhone. It's a 32GB in supposed good shape for only $250 great deal IMO. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and maybe get it but do have a couple questions.

I told my cousin to ask her if its unlocked to use anywhere and all the lady said was it's not on contract. I don't think she knows about having it unlocked or what I was asking as she's an elderly lady. If it isn't officially "unlocked" through AT&T it wouldn't matter if I was looking to put it on AT&T service anyway right? I don't want to get it then come to find out the serials blacklisted from service due it not being paid off through AT&T or some crap like this, should I be good? Is there any problems I can run into where they won't let me get service? I don't believe it is but just to cover all corners here is there anywhere I can check to make sure it isn't blacklisted/stolen etc? How about if its unlocked can I check before buying it somehow?

Thanks guys

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Ask her for the phones IMEI number....then check with AT&T and Apple..if she refuses to give you that number, I'd walk away.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Correct. If you're just going to use it on AT&T, then it doesn't matter if it's unlocked or not.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

What would I be able to tell by this number? If it's unlocked or not? Would AT&T tell me if I'd be able to get service or if it's blacklisted or stolen?

Do you guys think $250 is a good deal if it's fully working?

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

250 is a good deal for a 32 GB iPhone, although an elderly lady buying the 32 GB version is kinda weird, maybe they didn't have any 16gb.

Anyway, the IMEI will tell you if the phone is unlocked, and will tell you if it's been blacklisted/listed as stolen.

6. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Ok in the process of trying to get the IMEI right now. In order to see if its unlocked can I check online someplace as I'll do it in person or do I have to call AT&T? Same for about it being blacklisted would I call AT&T or Apple?

I'm sorry for all the questions just don't want to get burned and want to be ready when I check it out later in the evening.

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I'm sure AT&T can help with the unlocking if it isn't unlocked already. Of course only if it isn't stolen and isn't in an agreement with them. I still need to fax in my receipt to AT&T because I bought my iPhone at full retail from Best Buy and they need proof of that.

Make sure she removes her passcode and from her iCloud account if it's under her icloud to avoid issues restoring and it say its locked to her account.

8. mustafu macrumors newbie

I use www.swappa.com/esn to check ESN's on used phones I buy or trade for. Saved me from a Craigslist deal nearly gone bad on one occasion.