couple questions about DNS.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Jas123, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jas123 macrumors member

1. If I currently have a hosted site on 1&1, and I decide to get a static IP and want to have an in-house server, how would I get my current host name to resolve to the new static IP?

2. If I decided I wanted to set up my own DNS server, how do I get top level domain servers to point to my server to resolve the host name?

I'm not looking for specifics, but an abstract explanation.

Thanks in advance.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You login in to your account with your domain name registrar (I hope you registered the domain name with a different company than your web hosting company) and change the details for your DNS settings there.

If you registered your domain name with 1&1 you may have problems in that you might need to pay a fee to keep the domain name when / if you cancel your web hosting. Plus you might not even have access to the DNS information through them as they probably assume that you will be hosting with them.

P.S Don't host your website at home.

3. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response.

Is this why you suggest registering your domain name separately from your web hosting company?

The domain name registrars, is that where top level domains direct request to resolve host names to IP addresses?
    so for my 2nd question: "If I decided I wanted to set up my own DNS server, how do I get top level domain servers to point to my server to resolve the host name? "
    would I have to be a registered, registrar?

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

You could use freends.afraid.org to do everything.

5. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying; but I am really just trying to understand the process.

6. nesuser2 macrumors 6502

nesuser2

In a nutshell...@ 1&1 you tell them where your dns is...it's with 1&1 so you tell their DNS tool where www is, it's at YOUR.IP.ADDRESS.HERE

If you host your own DNS, you tell 1&1 that you don't want their dns and your nameservers(usually how they separate it) list would then show YOUR.IP.ADDRESS.HERE and then in your dns server you would tell it that www is YOUR.IP.ADDRESS.HERE

I can concur with the above...you don't want to host your own site at home, at least not if you want something reliable. For testing or learning...i'd say do it. However, I think hosting your own dns...for fun or not is borderline crazy haha..., I'm just not a fan of DNS servers!