Couple questions about iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kdog679, Apr 10, 2012.

1. kdog679 macrumors member

How hard would it be to upgrade an imac 8,1 hard drive? It's started running slow in my eyes (could be I'm used to my 2011 macbook pro) and I thought throwing in an ssd/momentus could increase the performance. I looked up the steps on ifixit, but it looks rather difficult. Could I take it to the apple store to replace the hard drive? How much would they charge?

Thanks for all the help

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I must be honest, I've put together a lot of stuff, self builds etc. I happy enough to open up my MBP if required, but splitting an iMac open scares the hell out of me. Lots of folks here have done so though, once you are in there, it's not too bad by all accounts. It's the opening that would prevent me from trying it.

If the I fixit tutorials scare you, then yes, I think talking to Apple is a sensible Idea, as to cost? Putting in a SSD in place of the Optical shouldn't cost the earth, and it can't hurt to call them.

3. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Maybe not the official Apple store, but any Authorized Apple Service Centre can do this for you. Just head to http://www.apple.com/buy/ and search in the "Reseller' column. It'll give you a list of service areas nearby which you can call. Range seems to be between $70-180 for the service.

4. kdog679 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to both you guys for your help! I don't think I'm ready to replace his optical yet (I think he still uses it) but I certainly will look into calling an authroized retailer, or doing it myself!

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Compared to opening an iPhone its simple. Two suction cups and a torx, done.